Builds Dirty Koala Build - Cummins 6BT + NV4500 + HF2AV Swap (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sounds like you are taking I80 into SLC. If you end up needing any more help (hopefully not) going across Wyo, give a shout. I'm right in the middle. And if you're going thru Rawlins and you're hungry, I'm buying. Good luck on the rest of the trip

Sounds like you are taking I80 into SLC. If you end up needing any more help (hopefully not) going across Wyo, give a shout. I'm right in the middle. And if you're going thru Rawlins and you're hungry, I'm buying. Good luck on the rest of the trip
Thanks Bro, I appreciate that...I am hoping I can bang out these studs in the morning, take off the other spacers and be good to go.

My studs were ready for pickup at the dealer at 10am. I took an uber, got my stuff and was wrenching by 10:30.
20180414_111307.jpg

I was very happy that the stud remnants came put with some light strikes from tge trusty toyota ball peen...thx @beno. The new studs pulled right through with an M12 x 1.5 nut and a stack of washers.
20180414_111045.jpg

20180414_112425.jpg

I then pulled the other 3 spacers out...start to finish 2hrs...most of that was dealing with the spacers. The 35 degree rain and wind wasnt appreciated.

Now I am back on the road and attempting to make it to SLC, UT by Sunday night.

20180414_135112.jpg

I'm in SLC and have lots of 80 parts if you need anything.:beer:
Thanks bud, do you have an antenna up/down switch for a 95-97?

Right on! I need one two use as a manual switch for my fuel sjutoff solenoid and grid heater. How much do you want for it?

It been awhile but I made a defrost switch into a momentary for my grid heater. Opened it up and took out the clicky part. Found the tread on the how to somewhere on here.
Glad you caught the wheel stud when you did. I had that happen before but my wheel popped off and rolled away. Damn wheel spacer resulted in a rolled Jeep in Silver City, NM.

It been awhile but I made a defrost switch into a momentary for my grid heater. Opened it up and took out the clicky part. Found the tread on the how to somewhere on here.
Glad you caught the wheel stud when you did. I had that happen before but my wheel popped off and rolled away. Damn wheel spacer resulted in a rolled Jeep in Silver City, NM.
That is a good idea...does the little orange light still work when you push it?

I have been uber sensitive to any unusual feeling/noise/vibration since the wheel studs. Last night I drove through a blizzard in Iowa/Nebraska and today the 40mph cross winds have been blowing everyone around the highway. I kept thinking there was something wrong with the truck...I checked steering, wheels, suspension etc...then figured it was just the gale force arctic winds...in April.

Last edited:
That is a good idea...does the little orange light still work when you push it?

I have been uber sensitive to any unusual feeling/noise/vibration since the wheel studs. Last night I drove through a blizzard in Iowa/Nebraska and today the 40mph cross winds have been blowing everyone around the highway. I kept thinking there was something wrong with the truck...I checked steering, wheels, suspension etc...then figured it was just the gale force arctic winds...in April.
It should. Mine is the one switch I haven’t ran illumination for the light yet.

Right on! I need one two use as a manual switch for my fuel sjutoff solenoid and grid heater. How much do you want for it?

If you can use it, it's yours. I *might* have a rear defrost switch as well.

If you can use it, it's yours. I *might* have a rear defrost switch as well.
I'll take both if you have them. This morning when I was leaving the hotel in Lincoln Nebraska it was 20 degrees. Fortunately I had enough foresight at 2:30 am when I arrived to park as close as possible to an outlet on the side of the hotel. I had to run a power cord to plug in my block heater to get going today...definately time to wire up my grid heaters!

Well that was an eventful 2200 mile trip.

Busted wheel studs
Blizzard in Iowa and Nebraska
40-50mph cross winds in NE, WY and UT
Last day dealing with food poisoning...not fun.

In any case, I made it to Salt Lake City yesterday afternoon and dropped the rig off at Equipt for a little loving. Now at the airport waiting for my flight back to NJ for a week...but hey I got upgraded to 1st...winning.
20180415_175648.jpg
20180415_170246.jpg
20180416_144023.jpg
20180416_155416.jpg

Have been home for a week now after our SWAdventure and Cruise Moab, probably time to add some trip details and pics.
We had a great group of folks on the #SWAdventure2018, which made for a fantastic trip. The truck performed great with the exception of a cold start issue on the Henry Mountains...I had to hook up the grid heater finally to get it started that morning.

Below is the High Level Route that @Box Rocket planned out...nothing short of epic.
  • Saturday: Price, UT to The Overlook in Horseshoe Canyon. Great camp site, but got pretty windy during the night.
  • Sunday: The Overlook to the Henry Mountains (summit was impassable due to snow)
  • Monday: Henry Mountains to Valley of the Gods
  • Tuesday: Valley of the Gods to Canyonlands
  • Wednesday: Canyonlands to Moab via Elephant Hill (in the rain)
Trip Mechanical Report:
@dockbox - One Airlocker line banjo bolt backed out due to running hard.
@hdj105 - One broken bolt on rear sway bar mount.
@treerootCO - One ejected rear brake pad resulting in pedal to the floor coming down Bears Ears.
@BerettaMato - One rear shock top bolt came loose.
@mryanangel - Grid heater needed to get hooked up, Alternator mount bolts worked loose, rubbing on 4 corners on the big bumps due to 37's and weight.

We were running and gunning pretty hard each day, and covered over 700 miles, almost all of which was offroad. The Slinky suspension transforms the handling of the 80 series, its was such a strange feeling to be able to put an 8000+ rig into a corner with significant speed and then power out of the turn, the shocks, spings, control arms and HD rear sway bar work flawlessly together.

Now onto the pics. Photo credit for these first photos goes to @Box Rocket
Photo Apr 28, 5 44 54 PM.jpg
Photo Apr 28, 5 45 32 PM.jpg
Photo Apr 29, 4 39 17 AM.jpg
Photo Apr 29, 7 59 40 AM.jpg
Photo Apr 29, 10 18 55 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Just before the trip I replaced the Tundra/Sequoia wheels with the last set of Hutchinson RockMonster dual beadlockers available in the US. I would have ordered the Argent color if they were available as the silver is a little bright for my taste...but nothing a few rattle cans won't fix :)

I also had an Eezi-Awn Stealth aluminum hardshell RTT and an Eezi-Awn Batwing awing mounted on the rack by Paul & team at Equipt....very fast setup and take down!

Photo Credit goes to Ben Huang of @COMEUP Winches. I am running a Comeup Seal Gen2 12.5RS...great winch!

IMG_2470.JPG

IMG_2545.JPG

IMG_2547.JPG

Next set of pics are credited to Carl @justdifferentials as we were heading from Canyonlands to Moab via Elephant hill.
20180502_084941(0).jpg
20180502_085304.jpg
20180502_090507.jpg
20180502_111227.jpg
20180502_111955.jpg

Edit: Crossing over the Dirty Devil River in Poison Spring Canyon, photo credit goes to @ikarus
2018-04-30 13.40.16-1_preview.jpeg

Last edited:
A couple more pics of the Dirty Devil river crossing. Credit goes to @Box Rocket.

Before crossing we stopped on the riverbank in a great spot for lunch and a quick dip in the refressing water... hopefully it wasn't really a poison spring :)
IMG_0493.jpg
IMG_0391.jpg

Got Bull Dust? At some point the group of 13 rigs were stretched out 5-10 miles. Photo credit for these pics that really capture the moment goes to @treerootCO
DSC_0732.jpg
DSC_0720.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom