Builds Dirty Koala Build - Cummins 6BT + NV4500 + HF2AV Swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I found a replacment charger which is on its way. I also got my hands on an AFC live 2.0 unit which will allow me to fine tune the fueling of the injection pump. I also got the max travel spring for the AFC which will allow me to tune the pre boost fueling better than the stock spring does.
View attachment 1378271
You will love that AFC live. Amazing tool with the 12v.

You will love that AFC live. Amazing tool with the 12v.
Yeah I am pretty excited to get it on and test it out.

I figured now that I pulled the 1FZ-FE and trans that it would be a good time to get a proper hardcopy of the 97 FSM :)

I definately prefer being able to sit on the couch and flip through the pages than using the electronic scans.

20170107_165727.jpg

When I was racing to wrap up the swap in time to get to Coal Mine Cruiser Classic, I couldn't find my AC amplifier...assuming I accidentally threw it out, we spent that weekend in high 90's without any aircon...the wife was a trooper and didn't give me any grief.

Yesterday as I was giving the garage a deep clean, the bloody computer came out of hiding....good to have a spare.
20170114_141020.jpg

Made some progress today. I put my replacement charger on and then did a boost leak test between the charger and last coupler before the intake horn...holds air well.

I then found two small leaks in the welds of the intake horn, so I pulled it to weld it up properly.

Since I am out of grid heater gaskets I couldn't put it all back together today, so instead I moved onto installing my AFC live 2.0 and Max travel spring kit.

After figuring out which air line went to AFC vs Manifold, it was all pretty straight forward. The longest part of the job was the 20 mins I spent with a Dremel grinding .125" off of the AFC foot to allow Max travel. I mounted the control box to the dash above my right knee, it's out of the way but I can see the guage easily and can reach the adjustment knobs while driving.

20170122_150736.jpg

My son likes to hangout in the Cruiser when I am working in the garage...he has fun, the wife gets some time to herself which gives me more garage time.
20170122_170701.jpg

20170122_170618.jpg

20170122_172717.jpg

I buttoned the manifold plumbing up today after tracking down some small leaks in the welds, it holds pressure very well now.

I finished routing my exhaust, which was previously terminated above the rear axle, it now blows out behind the passenger rear tire.

This afternoon I took the truck for a shakedown run and tuned the AFC live (really simple). I now have a modest and very comfortable and clean running tune for around town. When I flip the kill mode switch which essentially is full fuel on the AFC...holy hell you better hold onto your seat, its almost scary how hard and fast it pulls....locomotive.

When I got back I checked for leaks and found that my turbo oil drain gasket was torn and leaking pretty good...new gaskets ordered and on the way.

Ended the week with Brown Santa dropping off a @beno care package. Terrain Tamer knuckle rebuild kit, Rear axle rebuild kit and a little toyota tool icing. I will need to find a suitable place for the "Keep Calm and Call Onur" decal...awesome.

I know what I'll be doing tomorrow morning!
20170210_210218.jpg

Ended the week with Brown Santa dropping off a @beno care package. Terrain Tamer knuckle rebuild kit, Rear axle rebuild kit and a little toyota tool icing. I will need to find a suitable place for the "Keep Calm and Call Onur" decal...awesome.

I know what I'll be doing tomorrow morning!
View attachment 1399730
Nice. Onur always makes opening parts boxes exciting.

This past summer at Coal Mine Cruiser Classic I was hearing some weird popping sounds coming from the passenger birf...at the time we couldn't think what would be causing it. A few weeks ago I came across some spacer rings and figured out that they were left overs from when I installed the AVM locking hubs...without them the passenger birf was able to travel inboard into the diff causing the racket.

With fresh parts deluvered courtesy of Onur, I got to work this afternoon to rebuild the passenger knuckle and install the Aisin Hub and Chromoly birf I had on the shelf.

I would warn people to stay far far away from AVM hubs, they are total junk. This is the 2nd one that the tiny T15 tork screws have seized to the aluminum body and then stripped the head out along with breaking my T15 bits. Just like I did with the driver side, I had to cut the hub off...who designs this crap?

20170211_122422.jpg

20170211_122720.jpg

I had great fun separating the short axle from the birf, with half the mass of the long axle it takes a lot more momentum to get that snap ring to pop!
20170211_132305.jpg

It wasn't long ago that I had this knuckle apart, everything was in good shape, so I just repacked the bearings put a new seal in the hub, repacked the moly and slapped it all back together. Took a grand total of 2.5 hrs with a few steps #6's mixed in.
20170211_165947.jpg

20170211_132316.jpg

Those torque screws look like the same crap I took off my BJ40. Some were missing and the others snapped off. A few even had some goop over the holes of the missing ones from the PO. Aisin all the way on both cruisers now.

Those torque screws look like the same crap I took off my BJ40. Some were missing and the others snapped off. A few even had some goop over the holes of the missing ones from the PO. Aisin all the way on both cruisers now.
They are such a bad design, you have to destroy them to get them off the truck. Aisin all the way...real bolts go figure.

lots happening this week...my little man turned 2, I picked up a 2017 4runner Limited for the wife and then announced we have a second on the way.
20170221_075642.jpg

20170221_075740.jpg

FB_IMG_1487816461436.jpg

FB_IMG_1487877382516.jpg

Amazing thread, read the whole thing!

What sort of work are you in? Looks like you have substantial mechanical expertise!

Amazing thread, read the whole thing!

What sort of work are you in? Looks like you have substantial mechanical expertise!

Thank you!

I run Data Analytics at an investment bank...Cruisers are just a hobby.

Been very busy with family duties...going from 1 toddler to 1 toddler and a newborn is quiet the experience!

Anyway, I have been driving the 80 in 2wd for ages since I knew the front diff needed to be torn apart to see what I broke when out wheeling Iast. I finally got around to yanking the diff out last night when the kiddos went to bed...I was moving fast since I only had 2 hours to spare so not a ton of pics...but here is what I found.

13 teeth are busted on the crown wheel and every tooth on the pinion is toast...the ARB locker isn't looking to good either
20171227_155709.jpg

20171227_164900.jpg

I was decending a steep hill in 1st low range using the engine as a brake...all that weight riding on the coast side of the gear set combined with the 4.88 gears and a super low NV4500 1st gear was just too much for this little diff to handle...I also don't know who set these gears up...it's possible they weren't setup properly.

These are the parts I am sending to Zuk/Ken @gearinstalls.com to work his magic. I will pull the rear diff out tomorrow but that should go really quick since there are no knuckles to tear apart.
20171227_164839.jpg

I have a pair of Harrops from @orangefj45 @wardharris @beno and a pair of 4.10 gears and all the associated accoutrements waiting with Zuk/Ken @gearinstalls.com just waiting for the empty 3rds to be shipped out.

Since I was able to destroy this little 8" diff we have cryo treated the new gear sets for a-little extra protection.

I had been wanting to switch from ARB's to Harrop's for a while now since I manage to break air lines like it's my job...this carnage just accelerated that as a priority.

Last edited:
Wow that’s some good carnage. Will you be selling the air locker and 9.5” 4.88 gears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom