Builds Dirty Koala Build - Cummins 6BT + NV4500 + HF2AV Swap (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So close!!! It goes in front of that bolt at the timing cover, then the motor mount one will line up. I never did get the timing cover one to line up, I just have the motor mount bolt and the silicone hose holding it on. Change your fuel filter before you bolt all that up if you havent yet.

Updates?

Over the past two weekends I have had very limited time with the truck. Daddy duty, yard work, painting the kitchen and mothers days didn't help.

I did get all the intercooler plumbing sorted out. I had to clock my compressor housing to make it work...getting that massive snap ring back in place was good fun.

I also have all the parts and adapters on hand to hook up the fuel lines, heater lines and vacuum lines. I should get a bunch more done this weekend.

Last edited:
Spring time yard work is killing me as well.
To add to the list, I need to in short order:
  • Run a gas line from basement to rear deck for the new Weber
  • Drop 21 trees so that the chicken coop has a space to go and the landscaping can begin
  • Paint dining room
  • Convert my Diesel Ram to manual (that come after the cruiser is done)
The list never ends.

To add to the list, I need to in short order:
  • Run a gas line from basement to rear deck for the new Weber
  • Drop 21 trees so that the chicken coop has a space to go and the landscaping can begin
  • Paint dining room
  • Convert my Diesel Ram to manual (that come after the cruiser is done)
The list never ends.

Don't mess withe gas line and just get an egg!

Glad I live in a HOA area..... Lol I lie I wish I had freehold.
I ran from our previous HOA house as fast as I could. First axle rebuild I started I got a letter in the mail stating I had an inoperable vehicle in the driveway which was against the rules! Never again.

I ran from our previous HOA house as fast as I could. First axle rebuild I started I got a letter in the mail stating I had an inoperable vehicle in the driveway which was against the rules! Never again.

I have the same feeling about HOA's. When house shopping the realtor had strict orders to investigate and eliminate from showing us any houses in neighborhoods with HOA's.

Before buying my house I called the township to inquire about cutting trees.
I knew i had found a good town when I was told, "they are yours to do with as you please" and "no permits required".

The past 3 weekends were full of activities that prevented any work getting done on the swap, but I am trying to catch up.

This weekend I got a fair few things done, I started with the fuel lines.

I am using the OEM hard lines for now, I may run 1/2" all the way to the tank later. Since my lift pump had a 1/2" hose barb, I had to replace that with a 3/8" hose barb.
20160520_125157.jpg

20160520_135235.jpg

I used 2 adapters to convert the hard line fitting M14 x 1.5 to -6 AN and then -6AN to 3/8 hose barb. From there it was just a section of Trident marine diesel fuel line to the lift pump.
20160520_135256.jpg

The return line coming off of the injection pump is 5/16, but the OEM hard return line is 1/4" (or a very close metric equivalent). I used a 5/16" to 1/4" hose barb adapter between two sections of Trident fuel line.
20160520_135540.jpg

After the soft lines were buttoned up I got the fuel filter and hard lines back in place.

I knew I wanted to focus on the electrical later, so I installed my boost guage sensor in the intake manifold. There is a 1/8npt plug behind the injection pump. I removed the plug and replaced it with a 1/8npt elbow so that I would have room for the sensor. 1 banana job.

20160520_154026.jpg

Since I have the fan relocation bracket, the OEM crank position sensor bracket had to be removed, so I had to figure out another method to mount my tach pickup. After looking at the front of the block for a while I noticed an M12x1.75 threaded hole on the bottom drivers side.

I got a 90 mm M12x1.75 sholder bolt and torqued it all the way to the shoulder using high strength thread locker. I then welded a price of 3/8 plate with a hole drilled in it to the end of the bolt.
20160521_135904.jpg

After a little paint, I bolted on the crank sensor, much simpler than I had anticipated.
20160521_160721.jpg

I then got the wiring harness bolted to the firewall and hooked up all the sensors. I still need to run wires to the trans for reverse lights, extend the alternator and A/C wires, but those are easy to access.

It took a while to get all the intercooler plumbing done, but it's done. The biggest issue I dealt with was the linkage on the injection pump hitting the pipe.
20160521_135744.jpg

On the passenger side I used a 78 degree Cummins boost elbow and a 3" to 2.5" reducer with a 45 degree elbow from intakehoses.com
20160521_140012.jpg

Got the intercooler in place and tightened all the hose clamps to the German torque spec of gutentite.
20160521_135944.jpg

I wanted to get the plumbing buttoned up so ran a section of 3/8 fuel line for the power steering return line. I also adapted the 1/2" vacuum line from the pump to the OEM brake booster line using a 1/2" to 3/8" hose barb. It was a bit of a tight fit, but worked.
20160521_135841.jpg

I then ran all of my heater hoses. I used silicone lines for everything. I also got the air filter bolted in and hooked up to the turbo.
20160521_161005.jpg

I am finally starting to feel like I am on the home stretch of this conversion.

I got the condensor back in, replaced all the o-rings and installed a new drier I had on the shelf.

Once I got the radiator back in the truck and the lower valance bolted back in place I felt like I had made significant progress, even though it only took 20 mins to do. I threw the head lights and primary battery box in tonight, but will leave the passenger box out until I get the lower radiator hose sorted.
20160523_221731.jpg

The mechanical fan would hit the bypass nipple on the top of the radiator.
20160523_115958.jpg

I cut the nipple down and screwed in a stainless machine screw with thread sealant. It's in there good and tight, with plenty of fan clearance.
20160523_120753.jpg

There is a good 1" clearance from fan to radiator.
20160523_221843.jpg

Getting very close to startup.

• Got both radiator hoses sorted
  • Finished plumbing heater return hose and wrapped with heats held tubing.
  • Wired and loomed up the alternator and ran the loom under the radiator support.
  • Made a center support bracket for the top radiator support. (The OEM support was cut short to clear the intercooler)
  • Put the grill back together and added a little 60 series bling.
  • Got the passenger battery box in and installed two new Interstate Megatron Plus batteries. 24F as main and 27 as backup.
  • Installed all battery cables for both batteries.
  • Installed Starter motor. Note: the 97 starter fit perfectly, I have 3/4" clearance to the frame.
  • The ECU multi ground on the engine harness works well with the conveniently placed M8x1.25 threaded ports in the side of the block right above the starter.
  • Wired in the fuel shutoff solonoid relay
  • Installed the throttle cable assembly and hooked up cables to p-pump and cruise control motor.
Only thing left to do before I can see if she runs is drain the gasoline from the tank and modify the tank pickup.

20160605_140221.jpg
20160605_132746.jpg
20160605_144837.jpg

Had a couple of hours late this afternoon to get some work done.

• Drained about 12 gallons of gasoline out of the tank...that was fun
  • Took out the sending unit, removed the fuel pump and put in a piece of stainless tube for the pickup
  • Drilled out the fuel filler to 1" so diesel fuel pump nozzles will fit.
  • Threw on one my new 37's. It's amazing how right 37's look on an 80.
Tomorrow I will fill the tank and see if she runs.

20160606_165544.jpg

20160606_174144.jpg

This is one of the reasons I have had slow progress lately. I am almost done building the chicken coop run...just need to finish nailing up the welded wire.
20160606_192434.jpg

Got the tank full of diesel, purged put the gasoline that got into my fuel filter prior to pulling the fuel pump.

Spent about 30 mins trying to purge all the air out of the pump and injection lines. I am getting fuel at each injector, so not sure why it isn't firing yet. Managed to drain my battery, so need to wait for that to charge up before I continue.

Got the tank full of diesel, purged put the gasoline that got into my fuel filter prior to pulling the fuel pump.

Spent about 30 mins trying to purge all the air out of the pump and injection lines. I am getting fuel at each injector, so not sure why it isn't firing yet. Managed to drain my battery, so need to wait for that to charge up before I continue.
Sounds like you are getting close!

Give it some throttle, mine needed that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom