Dirtdobberoffroad's 82/85/86 build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been lurking long enough, I thought I would finally post up on a future project. I would like it to look like an Aussie truck when completed, I like the short front portion of bed with long behind the wheel wells look. Wish I could afford to just Import a dual cab Hilux. So here it is. I have a Facebook page that deals with Kayak fishing in Missouri, this truck will get me to those spots to help build my page, So the trucks use will be, transport to fishing/hunting spots, camping, mild trail runs/logging roads, the plan is to start a youtube page about fishing and camping in my home state.

To start out I have an 85 4runner (22re, w56, solid axle) that was used in some missionary training camps to teach people going into the mission field how to drive a manual transmission, off highway driving, combative driving, and field repairs on. This thing has been thru the ringer, it has been all but rolled, shot a few times, but has a solid foundation. The 4 runner has 313,000 miles on it and in the last training event developed a knock, I cant complain I picked it up for $200 bucks. This is the frame and drive train I plan to use.

The second is a 86 extra cab its 22re with auto trans, it has a great interior, little body rust on the cab but the bed is trashed due to p.o. cutting exhaust off just be hind the cab.

I also have an 82 2wd ,I built this truck a few years back and had to sell it. It has 20/22r that now had rod knock and blow by, the body is more rusted now and body parts are hard to find, the guy I sold it to cut the wheel wells out of the bed for some reason and now the bed is floppy. the truck was headed for the scrapper but I just couldn't stand to see it go so I bought it cheap. If I could find a rust free bed I would be more willing to use this body on the 4runne frame.

My plans for:

drivetrain is to rebuild the Re, w56 if needed, install 86 rear axle, install IFS Hubs (not lock outs but the complete unit) to not have to use wheel spacers in the front, debating on finding another set of 430s to run or change out to 488s. and Aussie lockers front and rear, change t case gears out to 4.7s.

body is to install 86 cab on 4 runner frame, buy a long bed 2wd bed to get the Aussie style rails on top of the bed, and cut it down in front of the wheel wells to fit and leave all the rear, cut down the hard shell cap I have to fit if need be. I like the look of the NWTI DIY front bumper, 2x4 tubing sliders, cut bed skirts behind rear wheels and install 2x4 tube rear bumper/sliders with a swing out for spare.

EDIT: 7/3/17 The 82 body will be used.

suspension is 79-85 OME front springs, 5100 bills for front with f250 shock towers, cross over steering. In the rear 89-95 OME rear springs (longer and slightly taller springs), relocate spring and shackle hangers if needed and 5100s in stock set up. Slightly longer shackles, any trim packers needed to level it all up.

misc. is to armor the diffs, high clearance cross member. 33x10.5x15 or 255/85/16 tires.

Last edited:
worthless_thread_wo_pics.gif

Back then, yeah 33s. Been on 35s for about ten years now. Full stuff they rub the back of the front fender wells.

It's an 85 body on a shortbed 80 frame. Cut 11" off the front of the bed and rolled the edges to match with the front wall of the box, so it's about 12" shorter than the 85 shortbed. Sawsall, small sledge hammer and a small mig. Presto!

No build thread. Done way back in '98 or '99.

4.3l TBI GM V6
R150(originally W56), Marlin Crawler w/4.7s in the t-case
4:10s, ARBs
two air compressors
LinkArc welder
ancient extra fuel tank in the spare position
'last' Smitty Built in-cab cage ever sold
home grown spring packs because I don't care what they say no ones production springs hold up to the weight of the V6
T-100 booster and master

Nothing fit and it all had to be done one piece at a time - typical build.

I've been in the shop building fender tubs for the rear of the 82 and the more I work on it the more I hate to see it go and after looking at the 1st gen build on here from box rocket man I really don't know what I want to do again! This is why I don't eat at subway to many choices if I only had one truck it would be easy to decide!

Those large raised fender wells in toyota truck beds are not necessary. I cut mine down to about and inch high and it gave me a nice flat surface and better cargo room. Measure your requires tire clearance, tire stuff, and saw away.

Ok so I got one of the wheel tubs mostly finished. That said, Ferg don't flame me for the drag car tubs! the reason for the huge tubs is really to draw the bed sides back together the truck has been ran for a few years with out wheel wells and the bed side was cut away from the bed floor at some time. For what reason I have no idea. So the bed sides are bowed out a lot and the only way I can figure out how to pull them back in and not have it noticeable on the out side of the bed is to use big wheel tubs. I got the sides welded back to the bed floor and that stiffened up the bed a lot! but the sides are still bowed out. the tubs are huge but I have plans for what to do with it. Yes my fab skills suck, and I am a grinder and not a welder but you got to start somewhere right? would help if I had a mig but I'm using a 50 dollar discounted H.F. flux core welder so.

DSCF6242[1].JPG

DSCF6245[1].JPG

DSCF6250[1].JPG

DSCF6257[1].JPG

DSCF6259[1].JPG

Hey no flaming from me. Your build, do what works best for you.

Just pick'n Ferg I got to make friends over here on mud. But that is a great point on cutting the wheel wells down a bit I almost made some that went from above the frame to the bottom of the bed rail kind of triangle shaped that would have been a lot easier, and again not sure if I'm going to keep this body to put on the runner frame or not. If not I might find a gm ls and stuff in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom