Dirt in the carburetor-HELP! Real time... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Like I mentioned in a previous post, I got a lot of dirt and rust in the carb (I guess it got past the fuel filters).

I was told to clean the whole carb or I'd have problems. I know very little about carbs but have a Haynes manual and a little time.

EXACTLY what parts do I need to clean and what do I use?> Air, WD40?

Can someone please name the parts that I should clean.. I cleaned the obvious ones like the bowl, the jets, and the fuel lines.

What else?>

What type of carb do you have?

Sorry.

Stock carb on a 2F. (1978)

Thanks

I used regular carb cleaner (to propell any dirt or debris from it) or use brake parts cleaner: this will dry quickly, without leaving any residue.

Does this help, or is it too elementary?

Oh, the other benefit to the brake parts cleaner and it's quick evaporation is the fact that you can use air through it afterwards, without the danger of blowing liquids out the end of any other oriface.

Other than that, I would definitely open it up and clean it out, since it is off the engine.

Take it apart. Get a bucket of carb dip at NAPA, or someplace. Stick the parts (less the gaskets and rubber) in the tray overnight. Pull out, scrub with wire brush if you have to, and dry off. Blow out the little passages with forced air. Take monofilement fishing line and poke it through the passages to be sure they really are open. Rebuild using new parts from carb rebuild kit.

IDave said:
Take it apart. Get a bucket of carb dip at NAPA, or someplace. Stick the parts (less the gaskets and rubber) in the tray overnight. Pull out, scrub with wire brush if you have to, and dry off. Blow out the little passages with forced air. Take monofilement fishing line and poke it through the passages to be sure they really are open. Rebuild using new parts from carb rebuild kit.

X2

Anything less may cause more plroblems than it solves.

passages? on the jets?

thanks for all of the help.

I may end up doing a total rebuild on the carb.

Knowing the P.O.'s maintenance record, I am guessing that carb hasnt been touched except to put a ridiculous looking aftermarket air filter on.

edit-SPDWAVER1-yes this does help thank you. I am very new to the world of carburetor work so don't think your being too elementary.

Thanks again....

You can blow carb cleaner through the jets. Make sure you jets in there proper places. If you have a digital camera this would be a good time to use it. When I rebuilt mine I did not have a air to blow out the orifices clean instead I used carb cleaner instead. If it was still clogged I redip it. However, there was one one orfice that stayed clogged no matter what. I ended up using a guiter string to unclog it. Not suppose to do this but I did I did not have a have choice.

Oh No!!! Help

SO i took the carb apart, blew out every orifice I could find.... Cleaned it out the best I know how..;

I put it back on and went to start the motor on full choke. ZOOOOM!!! It starts FULL THROTTLE! CRAP! I tried again twice and same thing. I know these motors don't like high rpm whatsoever so now I am scared of blowing the motor (and scared if I damaged it) I shut it right off but still... I have never heard a 2F rev that high.

Crap! I ALWAYS pay close attention to the RPMs and now I started it FULL throttle THREE times.

First, why is it doing this?
Second, how can I fix this so I don't blow the motor.

I am very timid about working on the carb since I have little experience.

Please help if you can...
Thanks.

Interesting, recheck your linkage on your carb. Will open and close the butterflies with a out a problem?

fjwagon said:
Interesting, recheck your linkage on your carb. Will open and close the butterflies with a out a problem?

I can't tell if the butterflies are opening/closing.

The gas pedal doesn't feel right though.

I guess I might have to check the linkage tomorrow or when I get more time..

Thanks

You did re-attach the spring on the linkage, didn't you? If not, then it will continue to rev.

Good luck!

baldboy said:
I can't tell if the butterflies are opening/closing.

Yes you can, but you have to take the air cleaner off and take a peek to see if they are open or closed.

It is possible to reassemble the linkage so that the secondary butterfly is stuck open. You have to pay attention to what goes where and which way or it will spank you.

You can check the pictures on sor.com to see if it is right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom