GM Dirt Dobbers 03 suburban build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

so when I tied the factory headlight harness back I also tied the DRL harness back too.... Finally getting rid of those pesky Day time running lights...the bulb sockets for the DRLs are burnt and warped where they wont seal to the housing any longer. I ordered some park/signal sockets and soldered them in to the OEM wire to turn the blinkers and the DRL into one big signal/park light. I wired A to A, B to B, and G to G, you could wire the A to B and B to a to get the DRL bulbs to blink opposite the signal bulbs but that looked like too much chaos on the front that way so I wired them to blink together, also if you swap the a and b wire the DRL will run the brighter filament in the when on position and I didn't like that they where brighter.... Now I know you are thinking the sockets and housing don't interchange, well you are correct but if you wiggle them enough you can figure out how to align them to work without any modifications. I also replace with all new amber bulbs, you could use clear but local laws may not like it. where I live they could care less.

untitled.png

untitled 1.png

DSCF8943.JPG

DSCF8936_LI.jpg

Not a lot going on finally got he front end aligned, I hate not being able to do something my self but for 50 bucks why not...took him about 10 minutes to get it done. Must have not been out that far. I did get a thank you from the the tech though, I squirted the alignment point down with wd40 every day for a week, and pressure washed all the mud and sand out of the wheel wells before I took it and he said it was like working on a new truck.

Failed inspection had to replace the idler arm...I'm not convinced it was bad but what can I do.... got that replaced and the high pressure hose to the steering pump blew so had to replace that too...… one question I have is the truck has always made a grunting sound when turning left appears to be from the steering box itself any one have an idea?

Failed inspection had to replace the idler arm...I'm not convinced it was bad but what can I do.... got that replaced and the high pressure hose to the steering pump blew so had to replace that too...… one question I have is the truck has always made a grunting sound when turning left appears to be from the steering box itself any one have an idea?

If you've isolated the issue to the box and not some other component (ball joint, linkages, etc - I assume no change after the idler arm replacement) then possibly there's some air in the steering box on that side. Try bleeding the system: Put the front wheels up in the air, start the vehicle, turn steering wheel lock to lock several times. Lower and test drive.

If there's dirt/grit/metal debris in the box you may have some improvement by replacing all the fluid in the system but if you have internal wear to the gear then a rebuild or replacement is likely your only option.

Nice little sunfish! I haven't fished for 'em since I was a kid but they sure were fun.

If you've isolated the issue to the box and not some other component (ball joint, linkages, etc - I assume no change after the idler arm replacement) then possibly there's some air in the steering box on that side. Try bleeding the system: Put the front wheels up in the air, start the vehicle, turn steering wheel lock to lock several times. Lower and test drive.

If there's dirt/grit/metal debris in the box you may have some improvement by replacing all the fluid in the system but if you have internal wear to the gear then a rebuild or replacement is likely your only option.

Nice little sunfish! I haven't fished for 'em since I was a kid but they sure were fun.

Thanks Numby...I forgot to keep up with the progress... I pumped all the fluid out of the reservoir and refilled it with some Lucas stop leak and stopped the grunting feel and sound funny thing is I refilled it with new regular power steering fluid and it did nothing. Power Steering Stop Leak

So the trip to Ozarks was the Moore expo in Springfield Mo. it was pretty good for the first ever next year I hope they explode with vendors....I also did what they called the SMORR to MOORE which is a trail ride on county and FS roads from an offroad park to Springfield area...It was pretty good but more tame than I expected so I was a little let down. I followed a Gladiator on 38s the whole way down the trail ride almost made me like them. That was just a few of the ride.

DSCF1406.JPG

DSCF1411.JPG

DSCF1425.JPG

DSCF1438.JPG

DSCF1454.JPG

I didn't get much from the expo but they had a little bit of everything. From the Global Expedition vehicles (GXV) witch is made in Springfield ( I didn't know that, its pretty cool that something that is globally know is from Missouri) to homemade camp trailers.... But the parking lot had way more to see than the expo its self.

Here is a couple of more from the trail ride. Larry the guy in the video was impressed with my Sub....

86794400_10221659205890740_848453935873130496_n.jpg

Wild Elk in Missouri....WHAT?????? It was starting to get dark so we headed back out found some Elk sign then all the sudden there they were.....my camera had a hard time it lightened up the pictures quite a bit and made them grainy

DSCF1864.JPG

DSCF1871.JPG

DSCF1642.jpg

DSCF1640.jpg

I got my RAM mount stuff in yesterday got it all mounted up. The position I put the track lets the tablet bounce a little too much for my liking. If I wanted to use it as a dash/trail cam the pictures/video is all blurry. the height is ok for me where its mounted it gives me about 9" of space between the tablet and the mirror on the windshield, I'm used to driving with something in my face all day as I sit behind a Toughbook all day. Another thing I picked up was a Bluetooth OBD2 scanner and paired it with Torque Pro....I spent over 2 hours playing with this thing in the drive way with the truck running....It is pretty sweet, but I would assume I'm behind times when it comes to that set up... Any one have any special Torque Pro PIDs for my model GM?

FedEx dropped off a package with some X-bull recovery boards in it, I may try and get stuck this weekend to see if they work. Yeah I know they are not the Holy grail Maxtrax but from what I've read the Gen/version 3 X-bulls are pretty good and 75 bucks for the pair.

I found a oil pressure PID I'm going to try its from a GTO forum but hey if it works..... it is different from the one pre installed

This PID works for mine...….Torque Pro GM Oil pressure PID

PID: 22115c
Long Name: Oil Pressure PID
Short Name: Oil Pressure
Minimum Value: 0
Maximum Value: 100
Scale: x1
Unit: psi
Equation: (A*0.65)-17.5
OBD Header: Auto

I just added it. Has to be exact.

In the cargo area I have a crate with fluids,towels, and a Chilton's. Next is a harbor freight high volume air compressor, tool roll, barricade offroad recovery kit, extra CV axle, x-bull boards, and the all important ultra light fly rod and fly box. I plan on building a drawer system to hold all this plus my camp stuff.

20200229_121928.jpg

20200229_121435.jpg

20200229_121620.jpg

20200229_121413.jpg

20200229_122028.jpg

That trip across MO looks more like a traffic jam.

We did one kinda similar north of KC area a few years ago. It was pretty much driving gravel roads. Not very exciting. On the way back we encountered another group of about 40 tucks and they would stop, get out look around. Get in, drive 5 miles, do it again. Not my type of entertainment.

I like to push my abilities and learn the capabilities of the truck, without damage. Make it a challenge.