1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DirecTV DVR with Tivo Questions

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by JRFJ4-, Jul 13, 2005.

1. JRFJ4-

JRFJ4-

I was supposed to have DVR with Tivo hooked up last Saturday. When the guy got there I told him we didn't have a home phone, we use our cell phones.

He said the Tivo would not work without the phone line. Is this true or bull sh**. I just think it's crazy that a satellite has to have a phone to work. Either way, no tivo at my house. :mad:

Anyway, Can I buy a Tivo at BestBuy or Circuit City that will work. What are the differences/pros/cons.

J.R.

2. willmaxr

willmaxr

Dunno. It might need a phone line for initial set up? We ran ours for months without having it hooked to a phone line. We've got it hooked now, but I think the only advantage is you can pay per view stuff. Our guide still worked and updated without the phone hooked up (but I think our installer said it wouldn't be as regularly updated without the phone line?) So I'm not sure. We've got Dish Network with Dish DVR. Maybe give them a call and see. With more people having cable internet, these providers are going to see this a lot more.

3. Trollhole

Trollhole THC Supporting Vendor Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    The phone line is needed for initial install to activate the DVR service, and to activate a new software upgrade (one is happening currently to take units to 6.2); other than that no phone line is needed. You will get a nag message after 15-25 days telling you to connect it, but that can be ignored. Some users go for years with no phone connection.

4. mabrodis

mabrodis

Our Tivo has been on for years with no phoneline...but, we did have to have one to get it initially setup. However, on a Tivo forum I saw awhile ago there was talk about newer Tivo boxes being able to use a network connection to get back to Tivo-central, so it wouldn't need a phoneline...the network stuff makes sense, since lots of people don't have homephones and why download anything over a phone, that's so 1990's, use a highspeed internet connection baby!

I know other technologies (Replay TV forsure) don't have to have a phoneline, the initial setup actually expects a network connection, although you can still use a phone if you wanted to.

Call DirecTV directly, tell them you don't have a homephone and never will (spout off some stuff about how only rejects from the wave of technology would still have a dirt, err, I mean land phone :D ), and how are they going to accomdate you as a customer...

Good Luck..