Direction of coolant through heater? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
I'm trying to figure the best area to tap into my 2f for a heat exchanger for a shower system. I know it would be best to tap before the heater coil and directly from the outlet that is comming from the block which should be the hottest. My question is should I tap into the line at pipe that runs beside the distributor? Or from the heater hose that comes out the top of the engine near carb?

And does anybody have any idea what the GPM (gallons per minute) of that heater hose would be at idle or 2k rpm?

this is my build up

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=65728

Sounds like an interersting plan. The tap coming out of the block by the carb would be the hottest. As for GPM@ idle, from what I seen not too much maybe a gal or two. Rev it up to a grand or so will up the output, and add a little heat to the mix.

The coolant does flow out of the top of the head, so it would be the hotter of the two heater connections. There is a bunch of ideas & chat here that might be worth reading though for mounting ideas, the jury is still out on series or parallel configurations...
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=57852&highlight=helton

That is an interesting heat exchanger, tube in shel design?

cruiseroutfit said:
The coolant does flow out of the top of the head, so it would be the hotter of the two heater connections. There is a bunch of ideas & chat here that might be worth reading though for mounting ideas, the jury is still out on series or parallel configurations...
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=57852&highlight=helton

That is an interesting heat exchanger, tube in shel design?

Thanks for the link.

It's a plate design. The surface area it covers is pretty big compared to the tube design realitive to it's size. Plus I like the fittings. I'll find out this weekend whether it is adequate for heating water to 100 degrees. Plus it rated for high pressure, high flow and stainless steel so I can run the coolant through it constantly with out having to use valves to bypass it. I thought of trying to figue a way to mount it under the carb intake to help the engine in starting during the winter.

Trollhole said:
...Plus it rated for high pressure, high flow and stainless steel so I can run the coolant through it constantly with out having to use valves to bypass it...

Are there heat exchangers that must by bypassed?

Well my thinking is most of the ones I have seen allow for little coolant flow and act as a restriction. of coolant which means if you hook it up to your heater hose it's not going to perform as well since the heat exchanger is going to restick flow. I'm sure some do not require bypass though.

my exchanger is similar, though I can't take mine apart ( nice feature ). They are very efficient. You will be stoked. I run a screen filter on mine to keep the veins from clogging. You may want to consider doing the same, since the passage ways in it are pretty small.

I have mine hooked up so that the water coming into my exchanger is right before the thermostat housing. Hottest place to plug it in.

You will prob want to wire up a choke cable to your carb to adjust the idle high when running your shower, as well as put cardboard infront of your radiator to help get the temp up.

-Dustin

Trollhole said:
Well my thinking is most of the ones I have seen allow for little coolant flow and act as a restriction. of coolant which means if you hook it up to your heater hose it's not going to perform as well since the heat exchanger is going to restick flow. I'm sure some do not require bypass though.

That is only if they are run "in series", but even that amount may be negligible in regards to heat loss by the heater core.

When run in parallel (as I prefer), you can shut the heat exchanger off and it will only help your heater core's performance. Theoretically, if you allow more to flow throgh the heat exchanger, you are reducing the thermal power directed to the heater core, so little is better in that respect. But then again, why is your heater on when you are taking a shower?

If you are concerned about the restriction when driving or wheeling (when the shower is not in use), remember that the heater coolant circuit (from the head to the junction, can be completely blocked off with little or no result on your engines cooling system, think about how the heater control valve currently works, all it does it stop the flow in that circuit, it doesn't bypass it...

In retrospect, I think the best way to mount them is parallel, just makes more sense...

Plenty to think about... :D

dustin said:
...I have mine hooked up so that the water coming into my exchanger is right before the thermostat housing. Hottest place to plug it in....

In the bypass hose?

I am all for mounting in the heater coolant system... for the reasons I discussed above... it can be completely blocked (accidently or intentionally) and not have an effect on the engines coolant system.

Just to sum this post up. Coolant runs out of the top of the head and into the heater core. Flow is about a gallon a minute at best under idle. I acually had a hard time getting it to circulate through all the hoses at idle. Once I reved the engine though it was more like 2 to 3 gpm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom