Direction in Idaho (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was hoping you guys could give me some direction.

1. Do you guys know anyone in Idaho that does tranny swaps, disc conversions, and p/s conversions on FJ40s? I'd like to do it but as winter aproaches my garage is not large enough to do these jobs. The way things have been going today is the last nice day until spring. Some how working in the snow doesn't sound like fun.

2. Right now my FJ40 is completely stock except for the engine (350) I was hoping you guys could give me pointers as to which trans/tranfer set up to go with. I don't want the easiest or quickest if it's going to compromise long term life. Do I go with a GM or Toyota set up? With the help of Advanced Adapters and you guys I don't want to do this twice.
In the end I'd like a decent crawling gear and an overdrive into a H/L transfercase.

Sorry if these questions have been asked a million times already. It's hard to get a straight answer out of the search engines.

Cheers!! :beer:

Check out the tech section write-up. For a manualtrans a NV4500 make a nice set-up. You can go cheeper but.... Jack Rice did a great job explaining things in his write-up.

Nocents

NWCruisers

I am also in Boise but I did all of mine by myself...

Check with the local club. I am sure someone either would like to help or knows of someone.

www.nwcruisers.com

I posted there looking for a mech. As i am also in boise. They didnt really come up with much. Pretty much the "do it yourself" mentality. Which i would if i had more tools. If youve got enough space and need help just let me know. Id be happy to help.

I have a mechanic up here in McCall who owns a couple of FJ40s and does a lot of Toyota work. He could do it standing on his head blindfolded. The only problem is he is always behind and you'd have to plan on leaving it for a couple of months. He might not even accept the work if he doesn't know you. But if you can't find someone in the big city, let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom