DirectHits system = interesting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Well I installed the DirectHits system in my truck and took it for a spin around the block. It definately feels more powerful, but it was just a short drive so I'm still allowing for the possibility of it being just psychological. We'll find out for sure tomorrow when I drive out to my friends' place in the Snohomish valley. I'll measure the mileage I get from the next couple tanks of gas and post my results.

BTW, those Brisk plugs that I mentioned in an earlier post aren't available in a non-resistor flavor for my rig, so I got the Brisk plugs that use a normal electrode.

GLTHFJ60 said:
What is this DirectHits system? I have never heard of it.

:beer:

It's basically a set of non-resistor spark plugs, each mated to a large capacitor that's supposed to give an enormous spark at the electrode without the RF interference of just using non-resistor plugs.

and I've gotta say, them s***s work. My truck accelerates much better than before (even with the complete Mallory system) and holds hills very well at speed. The highway performance improvement isn't nearly as noticable as the better acceleration, but it's definately there. Once I burn through a couple tanks of gas and figure any mileage difference, I'll post my findings.

cant wait to hear about it. i hope they work. and in case they do. please tell where you got them

Yeah, tell me about it. That sounds like something that I would like to invest in.

GLTHFJ60 said:
Yeah, tell me about it. That sounds like something that I would like to invest in.

Yeah the performance gains are nice. I took it on the freeway this morning for the first time and my truck just ate it right up getting up to speed. At about 70 MPH I really noticed how much easier it was cruising. The mileage though, will determine if they're worth it for me. If it stays the same or even drops, I'm pullin 'em out.

I don't really understand what these are. Basically a huge spark? I can't see how that would degrade your fuel economy, they're only going to be exploding fuel you've already put in the cyl, which is already going to be exhausted.

WALoeIII said:
I don't really understand what these are. Basically a huge spark? I can't see how that would degrade your fuel economy, they're only going to be exploding fuel you've already put in the cyl, which is already going to be exhausted.

Well what I'm wondering (and maybe I'm way off here) is with a more complete burn (I'm using the DirectHits in conjuction with a multi spark ignition box) the O2 sensors will see less oxygen in the exhaust the the ECU will think to put more fuel into the mix until it starts seeing some oxygen. I'm probably way off, but it was just something that crossed my mind. My gas gauge reads way low so until I actually fill my tank I won't know what kind of mileage I'm getting.

Is this a computer controlled system? Can it be put onto a 60?

Screw computers.

GLTHFJ60 said:
Is this a computer controlled system? Can it be put onto a 60?

Screw computers.

Nope, just plugs, capacitors, and new plug wires. Works on any ignition system. I didn't use the wires though since I have my own Accel 8.8mm wires that I made and they work great.

Yeah, I was thinking the 60 mentality, there wouldn't be any issue there. I see you are in a 62 which would make some difference. Please report your findings, this sounds interesting!

Definately sounds cool. I have never heard of this before though.....

Prices? Vendors?

GLTHFJ60 said:
Definately sounds cool. I have never heard of this before though.....

Prices? Vendors?

The only way (that I know of) is to buy it directly from them here. the set for my FJ62 was $255 plus shipping. Pricey, but if my mileage is in fact improved, it'll be worth it. I imagine that if the placement of the 60's coil and dissy are the same, it'd be the exact same kit as mine.

On the site they advertize these real funky looking plugs by Brisk that I wanted to try, but I guess those particular ones don't come in a non-resistor flavor that fits our cylinders. I still got plugs by Brisk, but they have the normal electrode and require gapping before installation (I index 'em too, and my truck ran way smoother since I started doing that several months ago).

GLTHFJ60 said:
Do those 360 degree Brisk plugs come in the kit?

Not the kit for our trucks. I don't think those ones have a non-resistor version available for our rigs. Either that or it's possible that our factory gap is too small for those plugs to work well, even with the capacitors on 'em.

I'm not familiar with indexing plugs, what is it and how is it done?

RredFJ40 said:
I'm not familiar with indexing plugs, what is it and how is it done?

Indexing is pointing the electrode of the plug towards the combustion chamber in the cylinder. I'm not sure about ours (never seen the underside of a 3FE head), but many heads have what I've always heard called a "squish zone" that basically pushes the air/fuel mixture towards the spark plug on the compression stroke. Indexing lets the plug's gap better catch the mixture being pushed towards it. A lot of people say it delivers more power when your plugs are properly indexed. I didn't notice any power increase, but my engine is definately much smoother with indexed plugs.

You index plugs by putting a mark somewhere on the ceramic (I use permanent marker) that's easy to see when the plug is installed. I mark mine so that there's a black line that faces forward when the plug is at the right spot. Then you use indexing washers (they come in three different thicknesses) as spacers to make the plug line up when it's torqued. Takes some time because of installing and reinstalling, but it's worth it.

Spook50 said:
Indexing is pointing the electrode of the plug towards the combustion chamber in the cylinder. I'm not sure about ours (never seen the underside of a 3FE head), but many heads have what I've always heard called a "squish zone" that basically pushes the air/fuel mixture towards the spark plug on the compression stroke. Indexing lets the plug's gap better catch the mixture being pushed towards it. A lot of people say it delivers more power when your plugs are properly indexed. I didn't notice any power increase, but my engine is definately much smoother with indexed plugs.

You index plugs by putting a mark somewhere on the ceramic (I use permanent marker) that's easy to see when the plug is installed. I mark mine so that there's a black line that faces forward when the plug is at the right spot. Then you use indexing washers (they come in three different thicknesses) as spacers to make the plug line up when it's torqued. Takes some time because of installing and reinstalling, but it's worth it.

What is the right orientation on XF engines?

WALoeIII said:
What is the right orientation on XF engines?

XF engines??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom