DirectHits ignition - What do you think? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was reading a 4x4 mag and came across this ad for plugs. Their web site www.directhits.com Looks interesting a capacitor installed on their special high discharge plug.. It lists $225 for the kit (1FZ) don't know if it includes all of the plugs, wires, capacitor etc... Check it out.
CapPlug1.jpg
illustration2.jpg

MLX450 said:
It lists $225 for the kit (1FZ) don't know if it includes all of the plugs, wires, capacitor etc... Check it out.
Just in case if it doesnt come with plug wires NOLOGY got 'em:
The OEM stock wires - 5mm and the NOLOGY plug wires - 8mm
1FZ part # 014 586 301
3FE part # 014 586 201
Here's the comparison between the OEM and the Nology Plug wires:
http://www.nology.com/hotwork.html

500A at ignition voltage? Using the factory 12v coil? Fired into an automotive spark plug?

Bull sh!7.

A lit charge is a lit charge, the factory ignition components reliably light the charge unless you have some other failure to overcome (fouling, wrong mixture,etc) or a very dense air charge then there is almost nothing to be gained over the stock ignition components.

Don’t know what the 80 runs for voltage but 20,000 volts would be very conservative, 500A @ 20,000V is 10 million watts. Think about this and take a look at your stock coil. Even with an extremely short duty cycle the power is just not there.

There are capacitance ignition systems used in turbine engines that push power like that but
A. the plug would never survive,
B. cost whole lot more than $200 for a system that only pushes 2 igniters (plugs)
C. much bigger than a dinky capacitor that would fit in a spark plug tube.

Using anything but OEM plugs and wires will likely give you more grief than it's worth.

Just got an email from them......

First, the list price is $255 for the 97 L6 1FZ-FE Toyota Landcruiser.
Included is a new set of tuned HV cables, DirectHits amplifiers,
non-resistor spark plugs and installation tool. All you need is normal spark
replacement tools to make the conversion from low power to high power
Wires come in Blue, Black, Red, yellow

Just to note the history of upgrading ignitions. In the old days (points and plugs), upgrades to ignition systems were neccessary as the ignition systems would often have barely enought power to reliably ignite the stock charge. When modifications were made to the engine were made (cams, higher compression pistions, larger carbs, etc) that allowed for a denser air/fuel charge in the cylinder, often these stock systems could not reliably ignite the mixture. So things like high power coils, dual point ignitions and other devices were invented.

The advent of electronic ignitions that allowed for reliable high voltage ignition systems from the factory eliminated these problems and the need for upgrades. Take a look at the hot rod guys with Chevy Small blocks. In all but the most extreme cases the stock Chevy high power distributor is retained. The only reason most hot rodders upgrade the ignition now is to go to a distributorless system that allows greater tuning and accuracy in spark timing.

The short answer is you would be wasting your money.

I'm with Raven 100%. I can back up the Bull Shiat claim with results on my bike. Here's the short version; For grins I had Nology design a set of wires for my bike (Victory Cruiser). I did get a good deal $80 or $90 for the pair. At any rate prior to installation, I had it dyno'd and tuned. Only changing the wires on tuned engine netted .5 HP (yes that is 1/2 HP) at the wheel on an engine that was making 75 HP. The other benefit was that it was approximately 1 second quicker to hit the rev. limiter. To me it was waste, I'm glad I didn't pay full retail on the wires, but that is the result of using the "high energy capaciter" type wires. Save your $$ for some protection or a lift.

Kris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom