Direct injection diesel swirl (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do all modern direct injection use cylinder swirl, are there any that don't? I know the toyota HD motors do, both DT and FT/FTE have a swirl ramps in the port bowl. I know a lot of modern CRD engines use a swirl flap in the intake manifold to achieve similar results but do they also have the same swirl ramp in the bowl? I can't find any pics of modern engines to see if they do or not.

swirl1.jpg
swirl2.jpg
swirl3.JPG
swirl4.JPG

Last edited:
I thought they all swirled , DI and IDI. Some have a pattern on the piston that looks like it swirls the fuel air mixture.

If you put "diesel swirl patterns" into google images, there are plenty of pics of patterns and how they achieve it.

Yes I'm aware of how it all works and the differences. Yes, they all have some kind of swirl or tumble happening in the cylinder depending on engine, DI/IDI and rpm (some more interesting ones swirl at low rpm then tumble at high RPM) but I'm specifically referring to only the section in the valve bowl that has a swirl ramp. In particular the more modern engines that have swirl flaps in the intake manifold but curious to know if they also have the swirl ramp in the bowl (valve/port bowl not piston). I cant find any pics of the heads from someone who's stripped one down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom