Builds DINGO- 60FZJ-UTE LS3 EROD (PROVEN CA SMOG) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Have u put a erod in a 80 before? Or has anybody? I don't recall. That's probably the only easy way to have a legal v8 swap in California. Just an idea here, but if u did a 2" or 2.5 suspension lift rather than 4 with a 2" body lift, u would retain better suspension link geometry and keep cog significantly lower unless u really want the frame to be higher. With your fab skills I imagine u could make a body lift pretty much invisible. Might be nice if your really loading it up with roof rack and gear to have lower cog. Would also give more Trans tunnel and engine bay space to play with.

Yeah, no doubt Mark's is proud of their stuff. Definitly wasn't suggesting getting a pan from them, just pointing out they market the same pan you bought with the front lopped off due to the tie rod. Pic you posted isn't the one they list for the 80 series:
20180523_062039.png

Not trying to hijack the thread with oil pan talk, I've just BTDT with the LS oil pans in the 80 and have seen other member's try the same H3 (AKA muscle car) pan and not like the fitment either.

Anyway, now that I've had some coffee, I realize you are probably keeping the car intake and will be able to lift the engine to the moon. Using the truck intakes is what really makes things tight vertically in the engine bay.

Haha I was thinking the same thing! That and some engine mounts would sell Im pretty sure.

Have u put a erod in a 80 before? Or has anybody? I don't recall. That's probably the only easy way to have a legal v8 swap in California. Just an idea here, but if u did a 2" or 2.5 suspension lift rather than 4 with a 2" body lift, u would retain better suspension link geometry and keep cog significantly lower unless u really want the frame to be higher. With your fab skills I imagine u could make a body lift pretty much invisible. Might be nice if your really loading it up with roof rack and gear to have lower cog. Would also give more Trans tunnel and engine bay space to play with.

Never an Erod in an 80, first rodeo for me. I understand the BL idea, just not a fan of them. Even with the roof rack, estimated at 60# and a 125# tent up top it won't be any different than any other 80 as far as top heaviness. Overall the canopy is basically the same height as the 80 cargo area. With all the lower weight being added, water tank, extended range fuel tank and then all the gear in the 2-3 lower drawers it should balance things out nicely.

If the need arises I'll look at extended brackets for the panhards.

J

Yeah, no doubt Mark's is proud of their stuff. Definitly wasn't suggesting getting a pan from them, just pointing out they market the same pan you bought with the front lopped off due to the tie rod. Pic you posted isn't the one they list for the 80 series:
View attachment 1707010

Not trying to hijack the thread with oil pan talk, I've just BTDT with the LS oil pans in the 80 and have seen other member's try the same H3 (AKA muscle car) pan and not like the fitment either.

Anyway, now that I've had some coffee, I realize you are probably keeping the car intake and will be able to lift the engine to the moon. Using the truck intakes is what really makes things tight vertically in the engine bay.

At the moment I'm not too worried about the TR clearance. If need be I'll roll out the DX and trim some fat.

This is a just a good excuse for Jason to get into the LS pan modification business :grinpimp:

Haha I was thinking the same thing! That and some engine mounts would sell Im pretty sure.

With the recent sale of all my bumper designs and plans... I'll look at a couple of things for the 80 on this build. Not a fan of welding cast aluminum, but the pans are cheap and I'd have 4-5 installers interested I'm sure.

Never an Erod in an 80, first rodeo for me. I understand the BL idea, just not a fan of them. Even with the roof rack, estimated at 60# and a 125# tent up top it won't be any different than any other 80 as far as top heaviness. Overall the canopy is basically the same height as the 80 cargo area. With all the lower weight being added, water tank, extended range fuel tank and then all the gear in the 2-3 lower drawers it should balance things out nicely.

If the need arises I'll look at extended brackets for the panhards.

J
I'll be curious to see how the cats fit. The only erod I have seen in a 80 series they deleted the cats and supercharged the motor. Deleting the cats kind of defeats using a erod.

They fit in a 60 frame*, so that’s a good reason to stay with a 60 series :grinpimp:

* if you cut ‘n turn the cats as needed for clearance.

They fit in a 60 frame*, so that’s a good reason to stay with a 60 series :grinpimp:
* if you cut ‘n turn the cats as needed for clearance.

Stan recently installed an Erod in a 80 chassis. Not sure what he is doing with the exhaust and cats, but nothing a chopsaw and welder can't fix...

80 frame IIRC is 1" narrower than the 60. It's that ole saying 1" more and you would've been a KING and 1" less and you would've been a QUEEN.....

I know he ran the HR oil pan as well and no TR clearance issues to report yet either.

J

The package I am using is not an E-Rod, it is an LS3 Connect and Cruise. I will not do a swap for an inspection state as the different "refs" all have different criteria. I know of a couple builders turned down at one and accepted by another months later.

It would be different if I was there but flying cross country to deal with issues related to getting a truck past inspection does not appeal to me. There are plenty of guys on the west coast that know how to deal with the inspections. I fully understand and somewhat agree with the rules set forth in CA and parts of CO but I believe they miss the mark on how they apply their rules. These engines improve the footprint these old vehicles leave, flunking an inspection because a Cat is an inch or two farther down stream to avoid contact with a frame etc is Bull Shiz!

The package I am using is not an E-Rod, it is an LS3 Connect and Cruise. I will not do a swap for an inspection state as the different "refs" all have different criteria. I know of a couple builders turned down at one and accepted by another months later.

It would be different if I was there but flying cross country to deal with issues related to getting a truck past inspection does not appeal to me. There are plenty of guys on the west coast that know how to deal with the inspections. I fully understand and somewhat agree with the rules set forth in CA and parts of CO but I believe they miss the mark on how they apply their rules. These engines improve the footprint these old vehicles leave, flunking an inspection because a Cat is an inch or two farther down stream to avoid contact with a frame etc is Bull Shiz!

My REF said they don't care were the cats are as long as they are installed correctly and operable. Then said, if I go to Sacramento that they have the exact weld isometric drawings and they are scrutinized harshly...

J

Yeah it’s structural, and there is a specific way of bolting down.

The vinyl arrived and I have to say it is a much better fit right out of the box than the previous product. The mold seems much crisper in the riser areas and through the transmission tunnel.

In the pic there isn't a tunnel cover so its dropping in the hole and the console pedestals are keeping it from laying down there as well. I'll be ordering more of these for stock very soon.

Jason

Got any pics of the vinyl, and can you tell us who supplied it? I'm in Aus, and contemplating vinyl in my 80.
PM if you want to keep it on the down low?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom