Dillion Club Run May 22, 2021 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Our first run of the season is this coming weekend. May 22nd. Here are the details, remember this is adventure so not everything is planned to the finest detail, we'll get down there, have a good time, make real time decisions based on trail conditions and get to know each other. Our plan is to explore some of the terrain near the Black Tail Mountains/Dillion area (loosely). For those of you from Bozeman we will pass through Virginia CIty, Montana's original Capital. It is beautiful country and should be mostly clear of snow.

Each of our official 406 club runs are designed to be flexible. You can run one long day (Saturday) or come out Friday night and camp and enjoy a leisurely morning on Saturday before airing down. Also, you can choose your own adventure and stay after the official club run and explore some more... it's up to you. The official run ends after Saturdays adventure.

Details:

Where: Dillion Area (rougly 2 hours from Bozeman). We are going to meet Friday night for those who want to camp AND LEAVE from the same spot on Saturday morning from THIS SPOT (45.06286,-112.24200) we will circle the wagons here for camping.

When:
Friday night for camping, roll up anytime you like. I am hoping to duck out a bit early and claim the camp spot.

Saturday Morning: we are going to roll out of camp at 10am... please note, that means we are heading down the trail at 10am, not starting to kick tires and air down. We will leave the camp at 10am sharp, please plan accordingly. Due to the nature of these trips, the group size and trail conditions it is hard for us to guarantee we will keep to the plan. If you want to ride with the club on Saturday be there on time.

Trail/Vehicle Requirements:
This is a easy going trail, think more overland than rock crawling, any stock rig with a good driver should be fine. @nohermosa correct me if I am wrong here. But please have your rig ready for the trail, don't bring a project truck that hasn't been proved and be ready for a long day of driving. Below is the route we are shooting for... as always trail conditions may vary and we may alter the route accordingly.

94C76802-7A4E-4F5A-A70B-0030A9EEF1ED.jpeg

Other Details:
Coms: CB Channel 4 and HAM 146.460
Gas up as close to the campsite as possible (if you are coming from Bozeman, gas up in Virginia City if you are coming from Helena gas up in Alder).
Bring you own food, water, supplies for camping etc.
We are a family friendly club, feel free to bring the fam along.
Well behaved dogs are welcome.
This is a driving trip, don't plan on hiking or extended photo shoots etc.
The weather looks MEH... plan on a cold evening and possible rain/snow.

That is about it. Feel free to post up any questions here. If you want to convoy down to the trail post up that too.

So who is in!? I am hoping to leave as close to 3 as possible.

I am!

Here’s who’s in!

@REZARF
@nohermosa
@Stryder03
@406Camper
@Boondocker_153
@TommyGuns
@AdventureFamily

Possible:
@ttFJC
@halfsmilingfj
@elkun1

UPDATE: Early crew is leaving at 4pm from the Cenex Gas station in 4 corners

Last edited:
I am in... great write up Drew!

Drew is correct, trail is pretty tame. There is one part we may explore that maybe a little more technical, but I have seen stock pickups go up.

Make sure you fill up gas in Ennis or Alder and maybe bring a extra 5gals can. I don't think Virginia City has gas.

It will be a fun time!

`mike

I’m in. Does anyone have an air compressor I can use/borrow? Mine was dead when I checked this weekend and I can‘t find a place that can guarantee delivery by Friday.

Our first run of the season is this coming weekend. May 22nd. Here are the details, remember this is adventure so not everything is planned to the finest detail, we'll get down there, have a good time, make real time decisions based on trail conditions and get to know each other. Our plan is to explore some of the terrain near the Black Tail Mountains/Dillion area (loosely). For those of you from Bozeman we will pass through Virginia CIty, Montana's original Capital. It is beautiful country and should be mostly clear of snow.

Each of our official 406 club runs are designed to be flexible. You can run one long day (Saturday) or come out Friday night and camp and enjoy a leisurely morning on Saturday before airing down. Also, you can choose your own adventure and stay after the official club run and explore some more... it's up to you. The official run ends after Saturdays adventure.

Details:

Where: Dillion Area (rougly 2 hours from Bozeman). We are going to meet Friday night for those who want to camp AND LEAVE from the same spot on Saturday morning from THIS SPOT (45.06286,-112.24200) we will circle the wagons here for camping.

When:
Friday night for camping, roll up anytime you like. I am hoping to duck out a bit early and claim the camp spot.

Saturday Morning: we are going to roll out of camp at 10am... please note, that means we are heading down the trail at 10am, not starting to kick tires and air down. We will leave the camp at 10am sharp, please plan accordingly. Due to the nature of these trips, the group size and trail conditions it is hard for us to guarantee we will keep to the plan. If you want to ride with the club on Saturday be there on time.

This is a easy going trail, think more overland than rock crawling, any stock rig with a good driver should be fine. @nohermosa correct me if I am wrong here. But please have your rig ready for the trail, don't bring a project truck that hasn't been proved and be ready for a long day of driving. Below is the route we are shooting for... as always trail conditions may vary and we may alter the route accordingly.

View attachment 2676310

Other Details:
Gas up as close to the campsite as possible (if you are coming from Bozeman, gas up in Virginia City if you are coming from Helena gas up in Alder).

That is about it. Feel free to post up any questions here. If you want to convoy down to the trail post up that too.

I am!

Here’s who’s in!

@REZARF
@nohermosa

Possible:
@ttFJC
I'm in! Interested in the convoy from Bozeman on Friday. What time?

I'm in! Interested in the convoy from Bozeman on Friday. What time?
I would like to duck out a little early and claim the spot and have dinner at camp. I am hoping to leave between 3-4pm from Bozo, but I could be persuaded to leave a little later.

I’m in. Does anyone have an air compressor I can use/borrow? Mine was dead when I checked this weekend and I can‘t find a place that can guarantee delivery by Friday.
I bought my off road air compressor at Murdocks. Give them a try!!

I am in and for leaving on Friday any time works, just post where we will meet and the decided time...........

Details:

When:

View attachment 2676310

Other Details:

I am!

Here’s who’s in!

@REZARF
@nohermosa
@Stryder03
@406Camper

Possible:
@ttFJC
@halfsmilingfj
I will be there Saturday morning 🌄

Details:

When:

View attachment 2676310

Other Details:

I am!

Here’s who’s in!

@REZARF
@nohermosa
@Stryder03
@406Camper

Possible:
@ttFJC
@halfsmilingfj
The uncertain is right up our alley!
We are planning a Friday afternoon departure with wheels up by 10:00 Saturday morning.

This is turning into a reel party. I think I might have to make an appearance. I’ll drive down on Friday but if it’s a three pm departure I might be chasing the convoy down

Was thinking about making this one but since i'm more of a fair weather type of person probably won't. beside was thinking about bringing the new pu but the transmission isn't cooperating with the tcase so it's a no go for now. need to pull the 40 out of the shed and get it ready for an active season on the trails, since i'm feeling lazy and my comprehension is failing, where is the meetup point on saturday?

@elkun1 45.06286,-112.24200 I'm going to try to leave the four corners area between 7:30 and 8:00 a.m. if you want to meet up

if i can get away i'm thinking since i don't drive as fast as you do i'm going to have to leave here by 7 to make it. not even sure which vehicle to take since i don't have the 40 ready. need to locate some radio gear and get it charged up. i'd really like to try out the new tent, well maybe i'll try to be ready for tomorrow. these decisions are stressful

So years ago, yes i'm old, was talking to an old timer buddy of mine that was telling me that back when wagons were the favored mode of off roading there was a trail that went from the ruby to dillion. there was a spot with a big rock outcropping that the off roaders would take axle grease and write their names on the rock. he'd seen it but doesn't remember where it was at which is an attribute i'm finding more everyday. pretty sure it wasn't on the sweetwater unless it's been rerouted . might try to locate it this summer.

So years ago, yes i'm old, was talking to an old timer buddy of mine that was telling me that back when wagons were the favored mode of off roading there was a trail that went from the ruby to dillion. there was a spot with a big rock outcropping that the off roaders would take axle grease and write their names on the rock. he'd seen it but doesn't remember where it was at which is an attribute i'm finding more everyday. pretty sure it wasn't on the sweetwater unless it's been rerouted . might try to locate it this summer.
I would be up for this mission count me in !

Details:

When:

View attachment 2676310

Other Details:

I am!

Here’s who’s in!

@REZARF
@nohermosa
@Stryder03
@406Camper
@Boondocker_153
@TommyGuns
@AdventureFamily

Possible:
@ttFJC
@halfsmilingfj
@elkun1
So as long as we top off in Virginia City or Alder we should be good on fuel? I don't have any real way to pack extra gas I guess I could hill billy a couple gas jugs on the roof rack :)

Well, we aren't sure if Virginia City has gas, I'll top off in Enis. I don't have a way to store a gas can either, If @adventurefamly brings his snazzy trailer he has about 63 jerry cans and could likely help us off the trail if we fill him back up with premium jet fuel. I am not too concerned but if you have an easy way to bring a can or two, it could help the group.

This pops up on Google for gas in Virginia City... but it looks old school. 351 N C Street, Virginia City, NV 89440

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom