Dilemma... sell the 80 for newer SUV or keep it and buy older SUV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Keep the '91 and buy a 100 series. Done.

Seriously, I have a '91 and when my wife totalled her IS300 (not her fault) we decided on a 100 series since we knew we would be starting a family soon and wanted more room. Now we each have a cruiser and she loves it. My 91 only gets driven about 3000 miles a year, but it's paid for and costs almost nothing in insurance to drive. Plus, I only have to go to one website when I have an automotive question. Thanks MUD!

Just an idea and I'm surprised no one here has suggested it yet.

EDIT: I know I need to renew my star.:flipoff2:

I'm a grandfather of 10

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate right now, with a newborn. May not be the best time to change vehicles. If he/she is not your first, then you know that children are not made out of glass, and they get tough pretty quick. You could tough out the newborn period, and have a wonderful truck to give your child in surprisingly few years, seeing as how you have it fixed up real nice and all...on the other hand, I have family in the S. Cal area, with 2 young kids and 2 Cruisers, and although they love them, I know that the 80 is considered by some folks, not to be as good a stop and go car, as some of the others you mentioned. If your looking for a reason to get a different vehicle, then perhaps that is the best choice.

Five kids,12 cruisers,seven cruisers now.Two serious wrecks,no air bags,other cars towed off,cruisers driven home,none of us ever injured.Enough said. Mike

I looked at the Seqouia but IMO it felt more like a ford/american suv than a toyota to me.

The Sequoia is an American SUV.

JFYI. :meh:

I don't own a Sequoia, but have had a Tundra since Labor Day, 99.

We parted with our 3FE-powered 88 FJ62 (after 18 years of ownership) last summer & my wife's DD is now a 97 LX450. I believe you would find driving a 96-97 FJZ80 quite a bit different than your 91 FJ80.

Our Tundra likely gets slightly better MPG than a Sequoia (see EPA stats below) & a few MPGs better than the LX450. My wife has a choice every morning, she only takes the Tundra when I ask her to.

EPA Mileage
1991 Toyota Land Cruiser Wagon 4WD

Estimated New EPA MPG
11 City
12 Combined
13 Hwy

2004 Toyota Sequoia 4WD

Estimated New EPA MPG
13 City
14 Combined
16 Hwy

Work needed on a 2003-4 Sequoia? Should need nothing more than wear & tear maintenance. Changing the timing belt is the next maintenance I look forward to on our Tundra (79K currently).

We did not even consider a Sequoia when we were shopping for a replacement for the FJ62. Had we been ditching a Suburban, a Sequoia would have been similar. They were never meant to replace the LC in Toyota's fleet. IMHO Sequoia was designed to sell for 40% more than the Tundra it was based upon, just like Suburban for GM.

BIL sold his Sub & got a V6 FWD Highlander for hauling his grandkids. Had to trade the new FWD for an AWD Highlander when the FWD wouldn't pull his boat up the ramp. He is disappointed in the mileage.

Which of these new CUVs will be something we want to drive in 18 years? MPG? Some of the 2009s do get ONE MPG better than their 2008 counterparts.

We decided to buy a newer LC & wait Toyota out on its introduction of a diesel SUV/CUV.

May I suggest borrowing a 36 lb Proto Drape Ape or 2 & check to see how easy it is to strap em into any vehicle you're considering? That was a typical DINKS remark!

Last edited:
Well the airbag point should be tossed as they don't go well with kids at all. With your LC the young ones ca ride shotty much earlier.

My other suggestion mirrors those above in saying get a '96-'97 for the best of both worlds.

You never said if you like to drive an 80 or not? If the answer is yes then forget the Sequoia, sell the 91 80, and buy a 97 80. You'll get the interior that you long for, the safety that you demand, and you'll still smile on the interstate when you're driving.

If you don't like driving the 80 then go with your plan A.

this is good advice. I have had a 97 and a 92 and they really are like two different trucks. FWIW my 2 year old daughter loves riding in the 92, kids don't really care about creature comforts in a car until they get older.

Well the airbag point should be tossed as they don't go well with kids at all.

Kids will like the fact that airbags will keep their parents safer.

We had a baby a month and 1/2 ago. No problems getting the kid in the car seat into the back seat of the 80.
We got the Graco Keyfit. Has a base to attach the carrier too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom