digital engine temperature (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In a never ending stream of curiosity, I installed a scan gauge in my 2008 Landcruiser to get a better indicator on key readings like Engine Coolant Temperature. I have never been to comfortable with a dial that shows somewhere between "C" and "H".

Turns out that my vehicle actually varies more than i expected on the temperature readings than i expected. It is pretty hot and humid in the Carolina's this time of year [95+ outside], but i see it registering anywhere from the upper 180's and maxes out somewhere close to 200 [heavy traffic, or long climbs on interstate].

Nothing crazy, just curious what you guys are seeing...

I see about the same in Idaho summers. If you're curious about temperature readings, wait until you check out your oil pressure gauge.

That's true with any vehicle. The OE indicator could really be replaced with an over-temp light as the needle is rock steady over such a wide range of temps. Coolant swings around a lot with load. As does oil. The +/- 20F you see is completely in line with what to expect.

The Ram has all of those readings available on the center LCD. I started becoming obsessed with it not climbing but then realized it was just doing it's thing. Taking the discussion full circle, having a numb needle is probably not that bad after all because then you don't focus on unnecessary worries...

What's interesting with the Ram is that the temp is highest under moderate conditions and then drops below normal once the electric fans kick on when its really working hard. Drops from around 209 (normal) to in the 190s with fan running. High coolant in that vehicle is around 220. Keep in mind those numbers are based upon a different t-stat opening temp. The 6.4 hemi runs hotter by design.

In a never ending stream of curiosity, I installed a scan gauge in my 2008 Landcruiser to get a better indicator on key readings like Engine Coolant Temperature. I have never been to comfortable with a dial that shows somewhere between "C" and "H".

Turns out that my vehicle actually varies more than i expected on the temperature readings than i expected. It is pretty hot and humid in the Carolina's this time of year [95+ outside], but i see it registering anywhere from the upper 180's and maxes out somewhere close to 200 [heavy traffic, or long climbs on interstate].

similar. I've peaked at 203F but that's towing 6000# at 75mph in 100F heat in Nebraska, and I have a winch+bumper which probably blocks some airflow. Typical temps are around 196-199F under load (towing) and 180-190F around town or when crawling in the mountains.

If this is correct a 50/50 coolant mix shouldn't boil until 223F. In reality if your radiator cap is holding pressure correctly I believe the actual boiling point is even higher

Cool, i had just never really paid attention to it until i had the "valley leak" repaired [the dealer messed it up the first time] and wanted to make sure i wasnt seeing a stuck thermostat [stuck partially open].

This has been a thing for so long many toyota enthusiasts modify the gauge cluster to remove the dead zone and make the needle more representative.. called the resistor mod. I did it in my 80.

I doubt it’s an option on the 200.. I’m assuming the cluster is canbus based but could be wrong.

Last edited:

I installed an ultra gauge to monitor coolant and trans temps. A bonus with having such a device is an alarm that triggers with thresholds. Once the vehicle is up to temp, the coolant temp is usually between 190-198F. I have seen it reach 201F climbing up a hill on a hot day but it goes down pretty quickly.

The Ultraguage is almost mandatory equipment for some vehicles like the Land Rover Discovery, where it likes to pop head gaskets and let cylinder liners slip when they get too hot. We have one on my son's disco, I might need to grab one for the cruiser too.

I’ve seen the same temps on my ScanGuage even with considerably oversized tires.

My scangauge ranges 187-200 100+ heat in Texas normal driving (bumper,lift,and tires) even towing 5k I’ve never seen It go over 205.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom