1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digital Camera Make / Model Suggestions

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by cruiser4life, Aug 4, 2005.

1. cruiser4life

cruiser4life

OK, I guess I've resisted long enough. This is a purchase that has been pending for a while. I have a couple out of country trips coming up and I'm going to want lots of pictures but don't have the desire the lug my SLR camera around. Lots of money tied up in my SLR and assorted lenses and I know I won't beat the picture taking quality, but I don't care for the bulk when traveling.

Looking for a lightweight, compact digital camera that takes high quality pictures and has some manual functions (aperture, f-stop, etc) and variable zoom settings.

I know you guys all dabble with yours. Anyone have a make / model that they particularly like and why?

Thanks! :cheers:

2. Red Herring

Red Herring

Media:
    Albums:
    I really really like my Minolta Z5. Awesome so far. Amazing zoom... stability control... lots of manual features... 5MP... I am very happy with it, and would highly reccomend one. It is not a "small" digital, it is shaped almost like an SLR, but smaller and lighter.

3. macneill

macneill Rollin’ on 33s

I've got 3 Canons. My newest and favorite being the SD-20.

Does just enough for me. I don't want too many buttons or options. I just wanna aim it and shoot.

Only drawback for some might be lack of viewfinder, but I don't miss it.

4. Trunk Monkey

Trunk Monkey Moderator

I'd recommend Canon (the ELPH series are teeny) or Sony. You can get a good deal on the Canons through Dell, just watch bensbargains.net for a coupon and pony up.

5. tea LC

tea LC

my most recent digi cam is the Nikon coolpix S1 -- 5.1 megapix -- very easy to use -- picks up natural light very well IMO -- uses SD!

[​IMG]

6. chet

chet

I have a panasonic fz5 vey nice camera with 12x optical zoom and image stabilization.

There some good long zoom cameras out now. ( After having along zoom I will not go back to a 3x zoom camera!!!)

Sony, Canon, Minolta all make em. Make sure you get image stab.

7. trainrech

trainrech

My wife and I use the Sony DSC-P73's. They take great pictures, but the zoom is poor. A good answer to your question will be based on what you want to take pics of and what you intend to do with the end result.

8. alvarorb

alvarorb Color Geek in Charge

Before you ditch your SLR stuff, maybe you should consider a digital SLR. They are quite light and compact. If you decide to go with a point and shoot camera, I would recommend one made by a camera company, not one made by a consumer electronics company. It has to do with their quality lenses and knowledge of photography.

An awesome source of information for digital cameras is http://www.dpreview.com. They have been around for years. Not only they evaluate cameras as they come into the market, but they also provide picture galleries and comparisons between different models, plus user feedback.

Regards

Alvaro

9. Enigma

Enigma

Media:
    Albums:
    I use an Olympus d395, takes nice pics easy to use etc. No aperture settings tho.
    Uses Xd cards....doesnt work to well after I landed on it snowboarding in Austria tho :doh:

and the best part..it was free (with airmiles points).

I'd like to upgrade one day soon to a SLR type Olympus I will admit.

10. bamachem

bamachem

11. freightdog

freightdog

Sony - I love mine - 7.2 and I have dropped it - kicked it - and it is still tickin - been all over the world with me!

Just good stuff!

12. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    I like my Canon s230 for most point and shoot photos that I'm barely qualified to take ;). If I were to replace it it would be sd300. Maybe the sd400 or 500 depending on price. Great little camera that you can keep in your pocket for traveling, out at the bars, etc. I love the little video on it too.

13. hoser

hoser SILVER Star

For point and shoot, you can't go wrong with a Canon. I've had an S230 for a couple years now and its almost time to upgrade.

14. 3puttcop

3puttcop

get a cannon....for durability.....My & year old son has, without my approval, dropped on tile floor several times. It still works like a champ.

15. aamiggia

aamiggia

Go Nikon CoolPix. Execlent quality, full manual control, ability to change lenses. The only drawback is the movies are without sound. I never thought I'd use the movie mode, but I do quite a bit.

The Sony's are very slow to store the respond and slow to store picture once taken. Stick with a camera company that makes good cameras.

16. Ratpuke

Ratpuke SILVER Star

I have 2 Canons: a Powershot S230 that has served me well during the past 3 or so years & a 20D which has amazing potential and I just need to finish figuring out all its bells and whistles. The Powershot is great for wheeling - the size of a stack of credit cards and is fairly durable. Get yourself a great case whatever type of camera you decide to buy. I've attached a pic of the accucase I use. Also search the archives. This subject has come up before.

17. freightdog

freightdog

I disagree - http://www.dpreview.com/news/0408/04082904sonydscv3.asp

Mine is very fast - and has better spec's than most...

Continuous
    • Burst, 0.9 fps, up to 15 frames
    • Speed Burst, 2.5 fps, up to 8 frames
    • Multi Burst

The new camera is powered by Sony’s recently introduced Real Imaging Processor™ circuitry that ensures fast start-up and shot-to-shot times of just over a second, providing increased speed and performance for automatic features like auto focus and auto exposure. Breathtaking still photographs are only part of the picture. When used with Memory Stick PRO media, the V3 camera also captures and plays back high resolution moving images in MPEG-VX Fine mode, with 640x480 pixel resolution at 30 frames per second up to the capacity of the media card.

18. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

I would start with a Canon digital SLR body -- the digital rebel or 20D is very good, then maybe a good all-around lense, like the EF ones for the 20D or the 17-40L for the rebel --

-- they're good to grow in to, and no lag --

e

19. mabrodis

mabrodis

My sister just got a Sony W5 which is 5 megapixel, (they also have the W7 which is 7 megapixel), she loves it, quick snappy camera, 2.5" really clean/bright LCD, she already had a memory-stick...she's sent me some pictures, darn good color, saturation, etc...amazing pictures for a tiny camera, and it'll still do all manual control if you want, although on any compact camera the aperature range is very limited, alot of games are played with changing sensor gain (ISO) and shutter speed.

Good Luck..

20. petescoffee

petescoffee

Canon Power Shot s500, 5 mega pix.
    Bought when they first came out. It is my 4th Digital camera adn I like it the best of the ones I have had that include: Kodak (2), Olympus. I bought my wife the Nikon SLR Digi d70 for Christmas and she loves it. If you have a nikon SLR the lenses are interchangeable.

The canon is very compact, hassharp pictures, not much delay. The olympus had a ton of delay before it actually took the picture. The Nikon takes very quick pictures (important with the little kids).

You might check out the small Nikons. If their small ones are as good as their SLR's then you will be very happy.
    Also don't forget to buy a case. When you drop the digi's they don't work so good. We are using the Adobe photo shop software. buy at least a gig card and a extra battery.