Digging into a single owner 1986 FJ60 109k miles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, first time posting on here. I bought a 1986 FJ60 with 109k miles that spent its whole life on a west texas ranch. It was driven on a bunch of rough roads and has its share of dings but the motor seems to run great and I think oil was changed and things were fixed when they broke but not much else and I don't have any service records. There's a bunch of oil/build up a lot of different places such as the engine top cover seal, engine oil pan seal, at least the front input into the clutch and maybe into the transfer case as well, the steering knuckles and maybe more! Everything seems to be completely stock except for an electric fuel pump. So far I've cleaned up all the leaks pretty good. I'm planning on redoing the suspension and reinstalling an oem mechanical fuel pump. I've got the old belts off since they needed to be replaced.

My question is, other than chasing some of my leaks and replacing all my filters, fluids, plugs, and suspension what else should I be checking / replacing as a preventative measure? I'm mainly interested in strategizing my work so I can avoid taking things in and out as much as possible.

Compression test? Rebuild carb? Check Vacuum?

IMG_6017.jpg

Thank you!

Don’t worry about a compression test. If it runs fine you don’t want to know the compression numbers.

If it were me, I’d give it a solid baseline.
Fluids, filters, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, etc.
put some miles on it and see what needs attention.

Fun project, looks like a nice truck.

Yea those mirrors have to go.

Unless you are planning to sell to someone out of state, I would look into doing a proper desmog if that has not been done. It will help a lot with long term reliability. And a valve adjustment during the tune up process. The valve cover gasket is easy to change and will stop any leaks there.

Thanks to everyone who has responded and big thanks to CardinalFJ60 for his generous offer to send me some OEM mirrors he wasn't using. I'll be putting those on soon. I ordered a tap and a plug for the galley plug thanks to MANUCHAO for that recommendation. I think the radiator is working fine. Michael Hanson is there anything in particular i should be checking? I drained the coolant and got new stuff from my dealer. A friend suggested I replace the thermostat while I'm drained, is that a normal preventive thing? The gauge was working properly when I drove it recently.

Thanks to everyone who has responded and big thanks to CardinalFJ60 for his generous offer to send me some OEM mirrors he wasn't using. I'll be putting those on soon. I ordered a tap and a plug for the galley plug thanks to MANUCHAO for that recommendation. I think the radiator is working fine. Michael Hanson is there anything in particular i should be checking? I drained the coolant and got new stuff from my dealer. A friend suggested I replace the thermostat while I'm drained, is that a normal preventive thing? The gauge was working properly when I drove it recently.

It’s the most convenient time to do it and won’t hurt anything by doing it now.

desmog desmog desmog, if your blessed living in a no smog county then part ways with it, a lot of headache that is not needed

By far, the most important thing to keep on top of with this engine is regularly making sure the valves are adjusted to spec.
Learn to do a valve adjustment.

The exhaust valve stem clearance typically gets tighter as the miles pile up and if they get too tight, the valve won't seal completely on its seat and exhaust gases will over heat it - and the valve will warp = loss of compression.

Keeping the valves adjusted properly is probably the biggest gripe I had with this engine - it's not like a moderne engine where you don't have to worry about it.

By far, the most important thing to keep on top of with this engine is regularly making sure the valves are adjusted to spec.
Learn to do a valve adjustment.

The exhaust valve stem clearance typically gets tighter as the miles pile up and if they get too tight, the valve won't seal completely on its seat and exhaust gases will over heat it - and the valve will warp = loss of compression.

Keeping the valves adjusted properly is probably the biggest gripe I had with this engine - it's not like a moderne engine where you don't have to worry about it.
Excellent, thank you. I ordered some feeler gauges and am gearing up for the top gasket so I'll check my clearances then.

Fluids, any leaky seals & gaskets, belts, plugs, filters,

probably have some vacuum leaks for sure, check vac, replace old rotted vac lines,

adjust the valves, check timing, run it, go from there.

if needed rebuild the carb and dizzy, etc etc.

AWESOME truck!! you scored.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom