Diggin' around in the dash and found a pig tail... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Skillet

Skillet
Threads
While trying to figure out if my locker wires were loose, I found a little pigtail that was not connected to anything, nor could I find anywhere it should go? Down on the left by the D/S kick panel.
Is this for an option that I don't have? The plug head is black and it has three wires, red, green and blue I think.
Anyone know what this is?

I think there are a whole bunch of those in our cruisers, I believe they used the same wiring harness the world over. So if you can figure out what is there in another country, and can get the part, you to can have that option.
Cheers,
Sean

Lots of pigtails under there for various things ... you do know the locker ECU is located in the passenger kick panel right? Hate for you to be wasting time in the wrong place ;)

When I got my '94 I had to do the same troubleshooting you're going through - I ended up finding that I was missing the entire front harness to the locker :eek: My only advise is to start at the axles ... do the paper clip test on the harness to check the wiring, 9V test on the actuators to test the mechanism. Then backtrack from there -

Good luck!

Tucker

tucker74 said:
Lots of pigtails under there for various things ... you do know the locker ECU is located in the passenger kick panel right? Hate for you to be wasting time in the wrong place ;)

When I got my '94 I had to do the same troubleshooting you're going through - I ended up finding that I was missing the entire front harness to the locker :eek: My only advise is to start at the axles ... do the paper clip test on the harness to check the wiring, 9V test on the actuators to test the mechanism. Then backtrack from there -

Good luck!

Tucker

Well, I have read on this board that the ECU unit is on the D/S & P/S (both US)
Do not have my ordered FSM yet so I am just covering my bases and getting to know the vehicle.
I honestly do not even know yet what the hell I am looking for.
My '73 FJ40 never saw so many friggin' wires.
Any pics of the ECU? ;)
Anyway, all of this information is very helpful and most appreciated.

Whitey said:
Well, I have read on this board that the ECU unit is on the D/S & P/S (both US)
Do not have my ordered FSM yet so I am just covering my bases and getting to know the vehicle.
I honestly do not even know yet what the hell I am looking for.
My '73 FJ40 never saw so many friggin' wires.
Any pics of the ECU? ;)
Anyway, all of this information is very helpful and most appreciated.
Pull the plastic cover on the passenger kick panel - you'll see a little box with a big harness plugged into it. That's what you're looking for ;)

Can't really do much from the ECU except trace the wires out for continuity though, that's why I was pointing you to the axles...

Tucker

BTW: Don't know what year your truck is - but the '93-'94 FSM does not have the info you need for the lockers, the later '95-'97 does however ...

tucker74 said:
BTW: Don't know what year your truck is - but the '93-'94 FSM does not have the info you need for the lockers, the later '95-'97 does however ...

NO, you have got to be kidding me! I talked to C-dan and he specifically told me to order the '94 and not the '93 book because it had EVERYTHING I need for that since my truck is a '93.
I just dropped $120 on that thing, I hope you are wrong.

:mad:

So, there won't be a trouble shooting scenario for the lockers in the $120 book I just ordered.
That is absolute bullsh*t.

I have no idea what is in or not in the 94 service manual. If you want diagrams of the wiring, connectors, splices, and component locations, then you also need the wiring diagram manual.

I think the 94 manual will have what you need. It has a wiring diagram in the back. I too specifically bought the 94 book for a 93. The other difference is the 93 book didn't have a fullfloater. Now that I have a 94 it doesn't really matter because I have the right book for my rig.

In the next week or so I'm going to get real familar with the wiring. I'm retrofitting lockers from my parts 94 to my driver 94. I'll take pictures and post them up if this helps.

Hopefully I'm wrong - I know the '93 book I have does not have the locker section ... but my buddies '95 FSM did. I assumed the books for '93-'94 and '95-'97 would be the same since the trucks were ...

Tucker

BTW: That's the best $120 you'll spend on the truck ... believe me!

Whitey said:
So, there won't be a trouble shooting scenario for the lockers in the $120 book I just ordered.
That is absolute bullsh*t.

Easy noob....

I have a '94 FSM and it does have some diagrams in the back. Have never really looked too close, and as I don't have lockers...well those parts don't apply.

Trust me Dan didn't talk you out of $120...:rolleyes: He could save you much more than that in the future...

But I don't know his policy on 'tards. :D

Whitey said:
So, there won't be a trouble shooting scenario for the lockers in the $120 book I just ordered. That is absolute bullsh*t.

Whitey,
Go to the TIS web site, DL the 94 EWD and any other manuals you want. TIS is $10 for up to 48 hrs. Read some of the posts on how to optimize your time and get all the manuals your heart desires if you have the bandwidth.

You will still want the hard copy FSM and it's well worth the $$$.

Depending on what your problem is with the locker harness you will probably want the EWD as Rich mentioned. That's the only way you're going to trace individual wires from end-to-end.

-B-

TX_TLC said:
Trust me Dan didn't talk you out of $120

In no way did I attempt to infer that C-Dan was to blame for that information not being in the FSM or that he tried to talk me out of the money. My animosity was directed at Toyota Motor for its incompetence in providing a complete and thorough product. C-Dan is the one who steered me towards the '94 FSM for my '93 model truck. My thanks to him.

TX_TLC said:
But I don't know his policy on 'tards. :D
:flipoff2:

Whitey said:
In no way did I attempt to infer that C-Dan was to blame for that information not being in the FSM or that he tried to talk me out of the money. My animosity was directed at Toyota Motor for its incompetence in providing a complete and thorough product. C-Dan is the one who steered me towards the '94 FSM for my '93 model truck. My thanks to him.

:flipoff2:

Just making sure...:flipoff2: :bounce:

Whitey said:
NO, you have got to be kidding me! I talked to C-dan and he specifically told me to order the '94 and not the '93 book because it had EVERYTHING I need for that since my truck is a '93.
I just dropped $120 on that thing, I hope you are wrong.

:mad:

I got my FSM straight from Toyota Publishing for $85...on the advise of Dan. Love it, but there is not electrical info or auto tranny stuff...those ARE seperate manuals (around $40).:beer:

I found this one and have no clue what it's for. :confused:
misc. 006 (Small).jpg

There are some underneath the center console in my 97 (non lexus) that are open too... I originally thought they maybe the connectors for the lexus cd changer and sub but who knows...

The wiring underneath the carpet in these things is insane... I would hate to try to find a short in one of those bundles.

Concrete,
I noticed that same harness awhile back.
There is also an extra on the ps side back there.
I have been told they run duals on the assembly line just incase one is bad they can switch to the spare without having to rerun. Makes sense to me but I have no idea if that it is really the truth.

kidpen, so do you think they are just for the rear lighting, and this one's a spare? Or perhaps it's for the rear air conditioning!!! :) wishfull thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom