Diffs, transfer case oil for 300,000kms 105 (live axle, no lockers) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thoughts on front and rear diff and transfer case oil on my 105 series solid axle (nonIFS).
I run 50mm lift and 35s Cooper MTs, and have quite a bit of road vibration through the vehicle.
Manual says GL-4 or GL-5 for diffs. Should I be looking @ higher viscosity oils? GL-5 states 75W-85
Transfer case pretty much runs the 75W-90 yeah?

I'm confused what would be used in diffs at the age of the vehicle.
I might also add that since everything else I've changed in the vehicle has been original , this oil has probably never been serviced either.

Thoughts on front and rear diff and transfer case oil on my 105 series solid axle (nonIFS).
I run 50mm lift and 35s Cooper MTs, and have quite a bit of road vibration through the vehicle.
Manual says GL-4 or GL-5 for diffs. Should I be looking @ higher viscosity oils? GL-5 states 75W-85

I might also add that since everything else I've changed in the vehicle has been original , this oil has probably never been serviced either.
75W-90 will do it .

your factory owners manual and the chassis body FSM both spec. the correct gear / axle lubricant and viscosity you require

your factory owners manual and the chassis body FSM both spec. the correct gear / axle lubricant and viscosity you require
the manuelle is confusing:
in the shop it states GL-4/5 should not be used in transfer case's but here we are in toyota manuelle
Transfer Case Torque Spec.JPG

1659445923293.png

And I get it, I don't need to go thicker! But as per engine's going thicker seems to protect the engine more and stop oil burning/going through to the exhaust.
I just wondered if anyone runs anything other than the factory spec ;)

the manuelle is confusing:
in the shop it states GL-4/5 should not be used in transfer case's but here we are in toyota manuelle
View attachment 3075663
View attachment 3075700
And I get it, I don't need to go thicker! But as per engine's going thicker seems to protect the engine more and stop oil burning/going through to the exhaust.
I just wondered if anyone runs anything other than the factory spec ;)

whats the SHOP and where and what is the 2nd diagram from ?

looks NON_OEM ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom