Diffs drain/fill crush washer direction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finished my front/rear diffs and t-case on my '06 LX and '00 4Runner. I didn't realize the flat side of crush washer was meant to go against the bolt, don't think I paid much attention to the direction. I've been told it doesn't really matter the direction but rather the torque (which I did do correctly). Watching out for leaks but also hoping it doesn't matter that much.

Aluminum washer for transfer and metal washer for diff. That's the theory... But I've been using Aluminum washers for all for nearly 30+ years and all is good. It's a toyota 4x4 and it can handle many things.

Aluminum washer for transfer and metal washer for diff. That's the theory... But I've been using Aluminum washers for all for nearly 30+ years and all is good. It's a toyota 4x4 and it can handle many things.

Interesting. Are you saying you don't think it makes much of an issue which direction crush washer is oriented?

Interesting. Are you saying you don't think it makes much of an issue which direction crush washer is oriented?
Aluminum of the metal? Aluminum has no side, but the metal does. I bought aluminum washers thinking that's the washer for all diffs/transfer. Recently, saw someone commenting about the metal washer.

If you already have the metal washers, the copper (the bevel side) should face the diff housing. You can see the diff housing has a curve to meet the bevel end of the washer.

Aluminum of the metal? Aluminum has no side, but the metal does. I bought aluminum washers thinking that's the washer for all diffs/transfer. Recently, saw someone commenting about the metal washer.

If you already have the metal washers, the copper (the bevel side) should face the diff housing. You can see the diff housing has a curve to meet the bevel end of the washer.

I'm thinking of the crush washers for front/rear diff, part# 12157-10010 (top left of this pic). Top right of pic is for t-case. For the crush washers on diffs, flat side is meant to go against the bolt, "crushable" side against the diff - thought being that bolt will always be flat but diff may not. I didn't know this at the time and thus wasn't particular in how I installed them and frankly don't remember which way I did it. I was careful to torque everything correctly. I've been told by a couple people that it's not an issue, I hope that's the case - don't want to be losing sleep about leaks :-/

51PDFny9+FL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

I'm thinking of the crush washers for front/rear diff, part# 12157-10010 (top left of this pic). Top right of pic is for t-case. For the crush washers on diffs, flat side is meant to go against the bolt, "crushable" side against the diff - thought being that bolt will always be flat but diff may not. I didn't know this at the time and thus wasn't particular in how I installed them and frankly don't remember which way I did it. I was careful to torque everything correctly. I've been told by a couple people that it's not an issue, I hope that's the case - don't want to be losing sleep about leaks :-/

51PDFny9+FL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
Whats the torque specs on these?

35 foot-pounds

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom