Diffrerences in Air Cleaners 77 vs 79/80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an 77 FJ40 with a newly installed trollhole carb.
I'm looking for an OEM air cleaner, and I found one that is/was for a 79-80 model. Will it work on my 77? If so, are there adapters or spacers that I might need (like the spacer on City Racer web site?). Spacer for '75 to '80 FJ40 2F Carburetor - https://www.cityracerllc.com/products/spacer-for-75-to-80-fj40-2f-carburetor

everything that I see reflects that there must have been a change with the air cleaner in 79 that was relatively significant, but I can't find any specific information on the differences, and whether they are interchangeable in any way.

Thanks

Not for carb height - no. The reason is because overseas carburetors (such as your Trollhole) did not include the spacer on the carb body for the EGR so it is shorter overall. Either air cleaner will require the spacer with your trollhole. Both air cleaners will work - just depends how original to your year you would like to be and if you need a visual check for smog components. The later air cleaner hose configuration changed for the smog pump, addition of vacuum driven HAI and thermostatic valve for the dizzy vent. Your truck didn't have those items so there's no need for the later air cleaner, but it will work.

The 79+ air cleaners are pretty different. if you want the hose and air horn to period correct they have some pretty different shapes.

I always thought the troll hole type carbs were the same size and shape carb as the OEM. But I could be wring.

I have a older style air cleaner I can take a couple of pics of tomorrow if that will help.

Jack

I had a troll hole carb on a 79 that I owned. It needed the spacer to work with the original air cleaner

Not for carb height - no. The reason is because overseas carburetors (such as your Trollhole) did not include the spacer on the carb body for the EGR so it is shorter overall. Either air cleaner will require the spacer with your trollhole. Both air cleaners will work - just depends how original to your year you would like to be and if you need a visual check for smog components. The later air cleaner hose configuration changed for the smog pump, addition of vacuum driven HAI and thermostatic valve for the dizzy vent. Your truck didn't have those items so there's no need for the later air cleaner, but it will work.
You answered all of my questions. I really appreciate it. Thanks

The 79+ air cleaners are pretty different. if you want the hose and air horn to period correct they have some pretty different shapes.

I always thought the troll hole type carbs were the same size and shape carb as the OEM. But I could be wring.

I have a older style air cleaner I can take a couple of pics of tomorrow if that will help.

Jack
I'm not looking for period correct, just looking for functionality. I really appreciate your reply. No need for pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom