Difficulty finding original right rear body/door flare for 96 FJZ80 (green) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently bought my 96 FJZ80, and there was damage to right rear, where both the flare on the door and on the body had been torn off. (The corner bumper was also off, but i was able to buy an old one and replace it myself.)

Here's the thing: I HAVE the original green body flare, but 2 out of 3 interior tabs have been ripped off. I figured a body shop would know SOME way to put it on. Nope. They say they can't, they need the trim with the tabs on the interior. Huh. I thought they'd have SOME way to fabricate them?

Also, i purchased a door flare, but it's white. And the body shop tells me it's gonna very expensive to paint, and i'm better off finding a green one.

I think i'm going to try to figure out how to fabricate an interior tabs to attach the large body flare I have. Has to be SOME way to do that. Any thoughts?

I guess I'm also going to just keep an eye open on eBay for door flares in green...

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be curious to hear!

Image-1.jpg

Yes I have one green, and one black. FYI it shouldn’t cost much to paint one, unless you want a show quality job. I would just paint both of them at the same time and I it will look fine. To do it proper you should blend the rest of the body blah blah blah, but if just the fenders are painted it will be ok. Pm me if you want the green one

If your old flare is good cosmetically and is just missing the mounting tabs then there are at least a few ways to fix your old flare that should be easier/cheaper than sourcing a replacement or painting etc.

I'd probably go with a version of this fix:

I'd be tempted to not use the chain at all and to just use fiberglass cloth that is formed to make a loop in the middle that zip ties can run through. Could form the loop with a piece of tube that is put in place during layup and then removed after the epoxy has cured, etc. If you aren't familiar with epoxy/glass work then read up online a bit for the basics. It's pretty easy though and after ruffing/cleaning the old flare surfaces involved is going to adhere well and be very strong.

Drop the following into Google for a few threads discussing other ideas:

flare repair site:forum.ih8mud.com

If your old flare is good cosmetically and is just missing the mounting tabs then there are at least a few ways to fix your old flare that should be easier/cheaper than sourcing a replacement or painting etc.

I'd probably go with a version of this fix:

I'd be tempted to not use the chain at all and to just use fiberglass cloth that is formed to make a loop in the middle that zip ties can run through. Could form the loop with a piece of tube that is put in place during layup and then removed after the epoxy has cured, etc. If you aren't familiar with epoxy/glass work then read up online a bit for the basics. It's pretty easy though and after ruffing/cleaning the old flare surfaces involved is going to adhere well and be very strong.

Drop the following into Google for a few threads discussing other ideas:

flare repair site:forum.ih8mud.com

Excellent advice! Thank you!

Find a new body shop

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom