Differential & Transfer Case Service Intervals (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Heritage 2020

SILVER Star
Threads
Greetings All,

My 2020 LC just hit 40k miles.

How often do you change transfer case and diff fluids on your 200 series? I ask because I tend to err on the side of more vs. less.

The original owner service records (very detailed) show that the diff fluids were changed approx 25k miles ago, but no indication that the transfer case fluid has ever been changed.

Note: Engine oil was changed at time of purchase and based on paperwork, the prior owner was doing 5k intervals—which I will stick with.

Thoughts as this is my first LC. Thank you in advance.

You could start here:

I think 30k is my target, or every 2 years because i dont drive those kind of miles.
Also, depends on usage though, towing etc.

How often do you change transfer case and diff fluids on your 200 series? I ask because I tend to err on the side of more vs. less.
You can take the opportunity to upgrade the plugs and the magnets, I think @bjowett sells them: Jowett Performance Drain Plugs, also Dimple. Just don't get a big one for the TCase because of the chain.

Ex Scientia Tridens

You can take the opportunity to upgrade the plugs and the magnets, I think @bjowett sells them: Jowett Performance Drain Plugs, also Dimple. Just don't get a big one for the TCase because of the chain.

Ex Scientia Tridens
Dimple plugs are great, but know if you have any issues he will NOT respond to emails, phone calls, smoke signals, shortwave, etc. I ordered three (two identical and one for front differential). It turns out he sent me one that is not compatible with any threaded orifice on our trucks.

Again, if you get the correctly thread pitch magnets, the dimple is unparalleled. If not, well...godspeed.

You could start here:

Thank you Charlie,

My front/rear diffs both have Harrop eLockers and they both work perfectly. I’ll likely never use the front locker ever—rear yes.

I wasn’t clear in my request/description of my setup.

I know I’m having the transfer case fluid swapped for peace of mind, but was just trying to figure out what others do—with far more experience.

I think 30k is my target, or every 2 years because i dont drive those kind of miles.
Also, depends on usage though, towing etc.
AnyMal,

Thank you.

30k is in line with my thought process with other vehicles.

The excellent paperwork binder/records from the original owner have been gold.

Transfer case—I don’t see anything indicating a change. I’ll do that soon given no indication it was done.

AnyMal,

Thank you.

30k is in line with my thought process with other vehicles.

The excellent paperwork binder/records from the original owner have been gold.

Transfer case—I don’t see anything indicating a change. I’ll do that soon given no indication it was done.

Of course HTH.
The T case is the only one with a special Toyota only fluid tin can. Make sure you use that one.

I usually start w/ the manual. Toyota has the schedule in the manual with options for mall crawler to off road warrior, or light maintenance to heavy.
From there I usually deviate based on my schedule, how and where I've driven the truck, opportunistic maintenance, feedback from here.

For my LX the manual is called "WARRANTY AND SERVICES GUIDE" available on Lexus owner's web site for download as PDF. Looks like this
1669233164262.png

I also have front and rear e lockers, and use them regularly. I'll service on the factory maintenance intervals unless I have some reason to do otherwise.

If you don't have extended breathers and you go through deep water crossings, that is a good reason to service sooner than recommended. Water in the gear oil is bad news.

Severe service, like towing a ton is another good reason. But that is covered in the factory intervals.

I extended my breathers into the engine bay, which is something to consider if you plan to do water crossings.

Of course HTH.
The T case is the only one with a special Toyota only fluid tin can. Make sure you use that one.
I thought it was the transmission that is “sealed” and requires the World Series (WS) special oil. Transfer Case in factory specs seems pretty easy to get.

Transfer Case:
  1. Mobil 1 GL-5 75-90
  2. Amazon product

I thought it was the transmission that is “sealed” and requires the World Series (WS) special oil. Transfer Case in factory specs seems pretty easy to get.

Transfer Case:
  1. Mobil 1 GL-5 75-90
  2. Amazon product

This is what it’s called and I believe necessary due to syncro.
B9C863D9-15DF-4ACC-B320-D892657C7729.jpeg

Check your specific owners manual though too.

Check your specific owners manual though too.

Yes because Toyota switched weights a couple of times during 200 series run. My 08 runs 75w90 in the transfer case but others just run a straight 75w

Yes because Toyota switched weights a couple of times during 200 series run. My 08 runs 75w90 in the transfer case but others just run a straight 75w

Im not sure what I’ll put in my diffs next time either, that German stuff seems good.

95B92221-5C44-445E-B600-7C95DAA9270F.jpeg

Im not sure what I’ll put in my diffs next time either, that German stuff seems good.

View attachment 3177004
Ravinol (sp). I'm going to do mine in about 7,000 @ 50k miles. Currently, the vehicle is used rather "lightly."
Transmission will be 5-10 after that. I've had excellent results with Eneos (from Japan) for other Toyotas

Ravinol (sp). I'm going to do mine in about 7,000 @ 50k miles. Currently, the vehicle is used rather "lightly."
Transmission will be 5-10 after that. I've had excellent results with Enos (from Japan) for other Toyotas

That’s the one, in squeeze bags I believe. Might try it out meself.

@tbisaacs or whoever, do we know what changed in the diffs if anything? Or should we all run what the last model year spec asks for if it were changed due to long term Toyota testing or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom