differential rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a question concerning the rebuilt of my rear diff.

here is what I have.....

all new seals for the diff.
all new bearing for the diff.
housing completely dissasembled.

here is my concern: Is it better to paint ( por15 in my case) before or after the reassembly?

will my drain plug will leak on the diff cover after reassembly if I paint it first?

what i tought to do was give 2 coats of POR15, reassembled, then scuffed with 000 stell whool and give the final coat with chassy coat black for rust protection on the bolts and stuffed( wich would not be painted at this point)

any comments or suggestion concerning the procedure is appreciated!

it is the first car/truck that I am rebuilding/working on, I want to do it right

thanks to all

Yves

I'd say that getting the preload and backlash set are your biggest concerns. Wouldn't even worry about the coating right now. Just coat it afterwards. I'd offer more tips on how to do a diff but I screwed mine up last time and it didn't last too long. Lessons learned I guess.

You got manuals and done lots of research for setting it up? I want to try again someday with all the right tools and take my time. Post up some pics of your progress and maybe we'll learn something from you. The diff gurus should chime in soon.

your supposed to paint these things ? I just put the axle together and after it is under truck crawl under there with a can of semi gloss rustoleum and paint it.

I should also say that i am doing a complete frame resto....time is not a concern since the cruiser is not running......

i just don't want to do it again after 3 months of rolling because of bad noise and leaks,

there was one thread last week or the week before about the rebuilding of a rear diif on a web site....I printed the sheet and I am folowing it by the book!

it is the first car/truck that i am building, but i have a good background on mechanics.....I am already a machinist and i will become an mechanical engineer next december!

thanks...keeps the coments coming!

HawkDriver said:
Shiite, you should be golden then. ;)

with the previous post i should say that i am not bragging at all........i know how to calculate the force in the gear, at wich point it will break, etc......

but when its time to do it for real...........most engineer are worthless......thats why i always go get the help from good gear head!

frenchman said:
i just don't want to do it again after 3 months of rolling because of bad noise and leaks...

The keep your priorites strait, and set up the diff, and get that done. Install it in the housing and paint the whole assembly after you are done.

Good luck!

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom