Differential Pre Load (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone out there know where I can get a set of washers (spacers) for the differential with no crush sleeve? At one time Toyota made 9 of them I currently have the 2.84mm washer. With 2 shims (.25mm shims) it is too tight (cant turn it by hand at all) and with three shims it is too loose (as in no resistance at all). I think I need the 2.94mm washer and with two shims it should work. I would really like to get all 9 washers so I am able to get it done without having to guess at another size washer.

My understanding is that they are NLA from Toyota. You could try Specter and other vendors for NOS. Your other option is to add the third shim and mill the washer down to size.

got a machinist nearby? they can make you one.
will this work?
Not sure. Have. 71 FJ40 and am changing the 4.10 to a 3.70 which were supposed to have come out of an 84 +- FJ40. The front differential didn’t have the crush sleeve but the rear did. The only difference between the two that I can see is the pinion shaft and the outer bearing (and where the depth adjusting shims go).

I don’t think that the crush sleeve eliminator will fit on pinions designed for washer preload adjustment. It is not that hard to thin the washer. I used 240 grit silicon carbide paper on a plate glass backing with water as a cutting fluid. It took about 15 minutes to take off 0.010 inch.

I don’t think that the crush sleeve eliminator will fit on pinions designed for washer preload adjustment. It is not that hard to thin the washer. I used 240 grit silicon carbide paper on a plate glass backing with water as a cutting fluid. It took about 15 minutes to take off 0.010 inch.
How did you make sure you had an even surface across the washer? What tool did you use?

How did you make sure you had an even surface across the washer? What tool did you use?
I was thinking about getting a new pinion with the shaft that will accommodate a crush sleeve. My only problem then would be setting the proper pinion depth. Does any one have the tool Toyota made for this?

I rotated the washer every 20 strokes and used a micrometer. I measured the axial play to get an idea about how much to remove. When I got close, I torqued it down and checked the preload every .001. You can tell when you are getting close because you start to feel some preload. It was a PITA, but it worked.

You set the pinion depth the same way with or without crush sleeve. You press the reused depth shim onto the pinion under the inner bearing race, tighten the pinion until there is no play and read the depth. Adjust pinion depth shallower or deeper. Repeat until the depth is correct, then set the pinion preload.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom