Differential Pinion Question 1973 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ukboneman

SILVER Star
Threads
I opened up the rear differential on my 1973 FJ40 and it was a mess - the oil was clearly contaminated with water, and there was corrosion on one of the carrier bearing adjusters. So, against all of my desires, I pulled it apart, removed the bearings and ordered a rebuild pack from Cruiser Outfitters. The pinion has neither a crush sleeve nor a solid spacer, just 2 shims below the rear pinion bearing race. The FSM shows a fairly elaborate method of setting the preload on the pinion using several SSTs. My question is, do I just put it all back together, torque the pinion nut to 100ish and add or replace shims to get the proper preload determined using a digital torque wrench? Seems that way to me, but I am not sure. Is there any benefit to switching to a crush sleeve or solid spacer construct? Thanks.

The shims are pinion depth.....preload on the older rigs is set with a fish scale, wrapped around a pulley (like a lawn mower pull start) ....if I remember, start out with 150 lbs ft...then use the fish scale and keep tightening until you get about 8 lbs pull...

The pulley is a Toyota tool of course, maybe slightly larger than the yoke flange....

What I’ve done on these, start at 150, give it a spin. Should be snug to turn by hand. A good firm grip...not a one finger spin (8 lbs side pull is pretty firm). Always tighten. Then smack it with a hammer (release stresses, ensure bearing cups are seated), and recheck.

If you think you went to far, loosen fully and start over...always tighten then check.

That is super helpful. The shims just sort of showed up when I took out the pinion, and I wasn't exactly sure where they had been, but that makes a lot of sense now. I have a digital torque wrench that can be used like a "fish scale" to spin and check resistance. Thanks for your help.

I opened up the rear differential on my 1973 FJ40 and it was a mess - the oil was clearly contaminated with water, and there was corrosion on one of the carrier bearing adjusters. So, against all of my desires, I pulled it apart, removed the bearings and ordered a rebuild pack from Cruiser Outfitters. The pinion has neither a crush sleeve nor a solid spacer, just 2 shims below the rear pinion bearing race. The FSM shows a fairly elaborate method of setting the preload on the pinion using several SSTs. My question is, do I just put it all back together, torque the pinion nut to 100ish and add or replace shims to get the proper preload determined using a digital torque wrench? Seems that way to me, but I am not sure. Is there any benefit to switching to a crush sleeve or solid spacer construct? Thanks.
Haha. Yeah. Mine has no crush sleeve or spacer. Just the shims.

I am about to do this too…

did you have a spacer between the pinion gear and the bearing ?

Mine did not either.
thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom