Differential Gear Ratio Vs. Tire size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a stock 1990 FJ62 I think the differential gear ratio is 4:11? It also has a 2” lift. Would I be fine to run a 32” or even a 33” Tire with out any noticeable differences. Thanks I appreciate the experience on this forum.

Lots of 62’s running around on 33” tires. Your transmission may get a bit warmer from what I recall but should be ok with the gearing. The 5 speed swap with 4.11’s and 33’s seems to be popular too.

I have a stock 1990 FJ62 I think the differential gear ratio is 4:11? It also has a 2” lift. Would I be fine to run a 32” or even a 33” Tire with out any noticeable differences. Thanks I appreciate the experience on this forum.
I have an 87 fj60. I recently swapped the 3.73 gears over to 4.10 and I plan on running 33” tires once I get my 2.5” lift installed. As it stands I have the factory 4 speed manual transmission and I’m running 30” tires that are bald so closer to 29-28. My speedometer reads about 8mph faster than I’m actually moving. I expect the 33” tires will bring my speedometer reading back to an accurate reading. I do plan on swapping the 5 speed transmission in at some point. But lots of people run that set up with the automatic transmission and the 4speed. It may not be ideal but it will have its advantages and disadvantages just as with any other machine.

The difference is noticeable and not in a good way with the automatic transmission - but lots of people do it anyway. 31" tires are a much better choice unless you know you need 33s

I've had original stock donut tires, 31" and 33" on my 62 auto trans....yes, you will feel the difference, esp. if jumping straight to 33. It's not terrible around town and once you actually get rolling on the highway, it's flat where I am though.

My auto is dead now, I'll soon be in a happier place. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom