Differential carrier swap ARB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering how hard would it be to replace our stock carrier to and ARB. I’ll be keeping my stock 4.10 gears and wouldn’t be messing with pinion depth just resetting ring backlash. Of course checking the pattern too. It would be my first carrier replacement and it doesn’t look that hard. But how many of you DIY’er did this sort of thing? I know just bring it to a differential shop? But seriously it doesn’t seem to hard. And if I mess up the ring and pinion I can always buy a new set of gears and have a shop Set them up anyways.

I have never done one on the Land Cruiser platform, but have done a handful on other platforms. It isn't that bad.

You have probably already seen this, but:

You are still messing with back lash. But in theory your pinion shouldn’t need to move. Run a pattern before and Make sure it matches.

Front would be easy. Rear a little harder and you'll need sufficient shims
No carrier shims front or rear of 80's, unless you're talking about the rear E-locker. (in which case you can't reasonably replace it with an ARB)

Carrier bearing adjuster nuts front and rear.

No carrier shims front or rear of 80's, unless you're talking about the rear E-locker. (in which case you can't reasonably replace it with an ARB)

Carrier bearing adjuster nuts front and rear.
Oops. You're right

Even easier then

Thanks guys for the “let’s go and do it” attitude. If anything I mess up the ring and pinion. I think I’ll try and tackle it.

Thanks guys for the “let’s go and do it” attitude. If anything I mess up the ring and pinion. I think I’ll try and tackle it.
You'll be fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom