Differential Carnage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought I'd share some pics of a friends diff we removed to repair last night. Looks like the ring gear bolts backed out (which happened with this ring gear before), and the coup de grace was trying to back out of a nast trail here locally known as Crushers and driving the truck home on the freeway (it made it fine).
Had to cut the housing to remove the carrier from the third in the axle, and removed the carrier separately from the third.
The ARB is toast.
20190109_212006.jpg
20190109_223925.jpg
20190109_223905.jpg
IMG_20190109_224407.jpg

Dang! Good to see that those bolts may be to blame. It’s even better to know that someone took an 80 on stock type suspension down into Crushers. I was touring the Browns camp area a few months ago (I’m new to the PNW) and when I arrive at Crushers I walked it and decided against doing it. I was alone and it did’t seem like a good idea. Got any pics of this 80 on Crushers ?

Last edited:
Dang! Good to see that those bolts may be to blame. It’s even better to know that someone took an 80 on stock type suspension down into Crushers. I was touring the Browns camp area a few months ago (I’m new to the PNW) and when I arrive at Crushers I walked it and decided against doing it. I was alone and it did’t seem like a good idea. Got any pics of this 80 on Crushers ?
He didn't even have the truck into any of the loops before backing out (crushers is not an 80 friendly trail, guaranteed body damage). It didn't help that that day was also the day I sheared my rear driveshaft (in crushers) and he towed me up the final hill to the road.
For a stock type suspension, his truck is incredibly well sorted (former metaltech orange 80).

Thought I'd share some pics of a friends diff we removed to repair last night. Looks like the ring gear bolts backed out ...

Can you tell if they are factory or aftermarket?

Can you tell if they are factory or aftermarket?
I believe they were ARP (not 100% sure). We replaced the ring gear bolts a few years ago as one had backed out and shot out through the front of the diff housing.
We inspected the gears and pinion (both were fine), checked bl and preload, and installed new bolts after cleaning the carrier thoroughly (literally bathed it in brakleen), and torquing to spec with loctite.
If I were to guess, the female threads on the ring gear may have become damaged during the first incident, and couldn't hold.
Let's not forget that this 80 has been wheeled arguably more than any other out there, and loaned to people who had no idea of how to wheel.
I forgot to mention that the spiders internal to the ARB were chewed pretty hard showing some locker engagements under pretty hard load (which you're not supposed to do).

Hey what are you going to do with the front Axle housing ??

I think we're going this route: Differential Cover

With any of them, test to confirm panhard clearance, the pipe cap for sure needs to be trimmed, shortened. When welding, be careful with heat, weld, cool, stitch it on, it's pretty easy to turn the housing into a banana.

With any of them, test to confirm panhard clearance, the pipe cap for sure needs to be trimmed, shortened. When welding, be careful with heat, weld, cool, stitch it on, it's pretty easy to turn the housing into a banana.
Or a porcupine - @richardlillard1

With the locker being separated from the ring gear, we couldn't get the third out of the housing (two hours of pulling and prying couldn't get it out). Once I removed the carrier from the third, both were easily removed.
The ring gear was just loose in the housing, no? the locker (carrier) was still attached to bearings and attached to the third, I assume? Was the ring gear just cocked over to the side and unable to get through the little window in the housing?

The ring gear was just loose in the housing, no? the locker (carrier) was still attached to bearings and attached to the third, I assume? Was the ring gear just cocked over to the side and unable to get through the little window in the housing?
That about sums it up. We did try anything we could think of to finesse the third out of the housing (believe me, it wasn't a fun choice to start cutting a perfectly good axle housing).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom