Different recommended pressure front and rear - ??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rigger

Ramble Tamble
Staff member
s-Moderator
Threads
I searched, and can't find much here, so am asking you mudders.

Trying to get used to my new truck; 2021 Ford F-250 4x4. It has the 6.7L diesel. Tremor package. The recommended tire pressures are 60 in the front and 80 in the rear. I cannot wrap my head around this. My OCD wants them all the same. I keep thinking the tire that has more pressure is probably a slightly larger diameter. Talk me off the ledge, please. Explain this to me.

I probably only run those air pressures in the rear if it was constantly being used to load or haul.

I probably only run those air pressures in the rear if it was constantly being used to load or haul.
So for daily driving with the truck empty, it'd be okay to set them all at 60?

I think I may have to techstream my way in to the system and set rears to 60, or else I'll get the low tire pressure warning.

Edit - I think what I need is FORScan.

Last edited:
So for daily driving with the truck empty, it'd be okay to set them all at 60?

I think I may have to techstream my way in to the system and set rears to 60, or else I'll get the low tire pressure warning.

Edit - I think what I need is FORScan.

I have a 97 F350 4x4 7.3 crewcab with BFG 285-75-16 and regular driving without load I run 50 to mabey 55 PSI front and rear.....I go more PSI if im hauling firewood or something heavy....

DiItto for me. '03 and '99 7.3 trucks. Sticker calls for 55 and 70 psi, I run 55 front and back most of the time, bump the rear up to 70 when the load will warrant it.

I searched, and can't find much here, so am asking you mudders.

Trying to get used to my new truck; 2021 Ford F-250 4x4. It has the 6.7L diesel. Tremor package. The recommended tire pressures are 60 in the front and 80 in the rear. I cannot wrap my head around this. My OCD wants them all the same. I keep thinking the tire that has more pressure is probably a slightly larger diameter. Talk me off the ledge, please. Explain this to me.
Does your door sticker look like this?
IMG_1642a.JPG

This is from my '97 and as you can see, it calls out same as yours. But the tire pressure's noted are not "recommended tire pressure". Looks to me to be max pressure for the max rated load. When running same size tires, front & rear, the only reason for running different psi, is if your weight distribution between axles is not near equal. Scales should tell you what weight is on each axle currently. And that will change more significantly on a pickup as opposed to a sedan or SUV because of how they're used (example: hauling bigger loads). Chalk test is best for determining what psi you should run. Otherwise its just guessing or experience. I have a Lance slide-in camper that's supposed to weigh 1350lbs dry. I'll run 75lbs rear and 65lbs front when hauling it. Otherwise its 45 - 50lbs empty for all four. My tire size is 285/75/16 on Toyo M55s.

Last edited:
I was wondering the same thing for standard trim 100/105's with 235 or 7.50 tubes. I've read that some manufactures do this for understeer.

But could someone shed some light on this, in a cruiser context?

100:105 PSI TYRE TIRE PRESSURE.jpg

On my Hilux I often change pressures depending on load to maintain correct contact patch and sidewall deflection. Running much lower pressure in the back when empty also drastically increases the ride comfort.

I run 34 in the front and 25 in the rear unladen, with my camper trailer hitched up and tub loaded up I bump the rear up to 40-45.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom