Differences of a 20R 22R and 22RE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok you Toyota fanatics, I have a fun one for ya.

We have an 86 Toyota Pickup at work. We are replacing the head gasket and rebuilding the head. Well we got to talking about the differences between the 20R, 22R and the 22RE (besides the fuel injection and the carburetor). I've heard of people putting a 20R head on a 22RE block or 22R head, I cant remember.

Anyway if you guys know it'd be helpful. Also it would be pretty sweet to know alittle more about a motor than our master techs.

Just taking a shot at it.

20R - 2000cc carbed
22R - 2200cc carbed
22RE - 2200cc EFI

They are 2.4 L, I have heard of the 20r head on a 22r for a performance benefit, but I don't know the details, never done it. The only difference between the r and re is the FI I think.

Last edited:
If you're planning to build a 22r-20r hybrid engine, you are going to need an early, pre-84, 22r block that uses domed pistons. And any 20r head. Even though I recommend using one that has the bosses for the power steering pump.

You mate them up with the Early 22r head gasket.

I hope this helps.
Cheers!

From what I recall back 25 years ago when we built a 22r with a 20r head for a friend's 85 in high school the intakes are different. So you couldn't build a 22re with a 20r head. That truck went pretty good with a 20r head, crane cam, a header, NWOR distributor recurve spring, and a weber. Got about the same mileage as the carbed 350 that replaced it a few years later though. But that's before we realized ring and pinion swaps were the way to get the power back with big tires.

timing chain cover/

:bang:may be different i had a 22r then a 20r now im back too a 22r:popcorn:

I almost forgot,

The intake manifold is different on the 20r from the 22r. Exhaust ports look different but the manifolds are interchangeable.

Thanks, but I was already corrected, 5 years ago.

And I should have remembered because I had an 18RC in my old Celica, which was a 2000cc engine.

In Sept 1984, Toyota switched to the lower deck height 22R/RE block. I don't remember what year they switched from a double roller chain with metal guides to a single chain with plastic guides; 1983 sticks out in my mind. We all know the notoriety of the plastic guides breaking and the chain rubbing a hole in the timing cover coolant passage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom