Differences in the factory mags (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay, so I have made a boo-boo and I'm trying to work out which way I go from here.

My cruiser came with a steel spare wheel, which I don't mind the steel part, but it doesn't have the 60mm offset. It used to be so bad that it would only be 5mm off the tie down rail, but after performing surgery it now clears the tray, but it really would only be suitable as a get out of jail card if I had to put it on. Added to that rotating the tyres becomes a painful job as the tyre would need to be swapped off the rim, or I let it get old and never let it wear out..

So I had the genius idea of buying a 5th factory mag. Problem solved right? Well I managed to source a set of 4 (he wouldn't split them) and got them home, and realised that while they are very similar, they are not identicle. Mine are the shiny ones with the lip on the centre cap, and the ones I bought look painted/matt finish and the centre cap doesn't have the lip. I'm assuming that they are both factory mags, and probably a different option available at the time. Or was one from the 105 vs the 100 series?

Besides cosmetics, is there any functional difference? ie could I still use it as a spare, and just kinda drive around with one odd looking rim. Or should I just sell them and learn my lesson and try again? I'm leaning toward selling them, but before I list them I kinda want to know why the two types exist for my own personal information and to make sure the next guy doesn't make the same mistake.

Have photos? I’m not understanding exactly what the issue is.

Very small and subtle difference.

20221024_122452.jpg

20221024_122446.jpg

That scallop out on the radial has a square end on my rims, but on the ones I've bought it blends into the edge of the rim.
And the centre cap is different. Also I'm just noticing now that on mine the bolts are aligned with with the radial arm, and on the ones I bought they are in between the radial arms. I should have seen that from a mile away!

As long as the offset and width is the same, which I believe they are, they are functionally identical.

100 series wheel types:

7FC27A0B-52AB-46F7-9969-3E130F3EE15A.jpeg

Looks like you have both C/D and F/G. But like @GTV said, they should have identical width and offset and therefore fit the same.

I think I'll try and sell them because my engineer brain can't accept something that is close but not right, even though it's more right than the steel rim with a zero offset.
It's like wearing odd socks!

(which I used to do a lot)

If you're using it as a spare, I wouldn't worry about it. If you rotate all five tires, then maybe it would become an issue looks-wise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom