Differences in T-case mounted Parking Brake Backing Plate? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

EWheeler

4 Cruisers, No Garage !
GOLD Star
Threads
I started my truck in low gear, with parking break engaged, and the backing plate sheared the 4 mounting bolts and backing plate was damaged by the cable ripping out. Total bonehead moment.

38DB880A-0531-4319-92C2-B64D6663C86B.jpeg

I bought a replacement backing plate through the classifieds, and went to install this weekend to find it is a mirror image of the one i removed.

Any chance i bought a RHD backing plate? Can I just install this one upside down to get the cable inlet on the left side of the truck as it was on the original one?

B67FEB58-AD85-416A-9CAD-52CDF6CE67F8.jpeg

A7599D55-3FEF-4D9F-834A-ABEB01CEB0E7.jpeg

last pic the one on the left is a 40/45 series
the one on the right is a 55 series

I would just get the correct 40/45 backing plate versus making the 55 one work

last pic the one on the left is a 40/45 series
the one on the right is a 55 series

I would just get the correct 40/45 backing plate versus making the 55 one work
Thank you

FWIW, did same thing years ago, i just peened the torn edges back in and reused it, 16 years no issues. mine was torn just a hair less but almost identical result. I secured the cable back 8 inches or so as well with a fuel line clamp.

FWIW, did same thing years ago, i just peened the torn edges back in and reused it, 16 years no issues. mine was torn just a hair less but almost identical result. I secured the cable back 8 inches or so as well with a fuel line clamp.
To add insult to injury, the engine started and was running, with me standing outside and it smashed into @Godfather90 front bumper bending the brand new OEM Toyota bumper I had installed the day before. Thankfully his truck is built like a tank and showed no damage. It could have been way worse. Hopefully I learned from that bonehead move.

Im just going to replace it, I have a double seal housing from Valley Hybrids to go back in as well.

Sorry got your misfortune, but terrible stories that turn out ok are great. In high school, I had a huge K5 blazer that I pulled a wheel chick and thought it was in gear, rolled back down a hill and smashed into my uncles Subaru commuter going about 20mph. Caved in rear door and broken taillight was all the damage. He gave it to me a few months later.

Sorry got your misfortune, but terrible stories that turn out ok are great. In high school, I had a huge K5 blazer that I pulled a wheel chick and thought it was in gear, rolled back down a hill and smashed into my uncles Subaru commuter going about 20mph. Caved in rear door and broken taillight was all the damage. He gave it to me a few months later.
I think we're living parallel lives. Huge Chevy's in high school. FJ40's in mid-life.

I did a full resto on this '75 during high school, I think we texted about making things "too nice" to enjoy. This was after I removed the 3" body lift and 40" tires to make it more "reasonable". It was obviously just a pavement princess being a 1/2 ton truck. I hear it's still running around down in Shelton, WA.

IMG_3853.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom