Differences 40th Anniversary and Collectors Edition? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering what kind of differences are between a 40th Anniversary and a Collectors Edition. Especially about Climate Control and Emblems or whatever was used. Were these types only limited to the States?

Has anybody an idea what kind of options were available for non-USA 97 LIMITED Trucks? Any differences to the States?
If so, has somebody the factory part numbers for such options?

Because I wonder what I am missing on my overseas truck. I would like to use all possible options.

Mike

They are the same. Limited numbers of 97 Landcruiser have 40th Edition on it. With special options like two tone interior etc.. Mostly for collectors, hence "Collector Edition". I am not sure about non US LC but let me know what kind of options you have and I can look it up on my US edition 97 brochure and see what is available. cruiserdan will be able to help you on the factory part numbers.What part of Thailand are you at? :)

Here my options:

Overhead console altimeter/compass
Side window rain shields
Front fog lamps
Side indicators
Clear corner lenses
Cool box
Rear AC
Head light washers
Cabin head light adjuster
Curtains
Landcruiser Carpets
Climate Control
Winch
Shocks Auto normal/Sport (Standard, or?)
Diff Locks
CD Lock Switch
Rear Mirror
Ladder
Rear Spare Tyre
Roof Rack
CD Player
Electr. Seats
Leather

I am located in Pattaya/Thailand and will use the rig to cross the country on my way to the border with Laos and Cambodia. Some really bad roads and very muddy in the rain season.

Mike

Correction. Collector Edition which is the 97 Landcruiser which most options became standard to celebrate 40 years in the United States. 40th Edition badging is a limited series of 97 Landcruiser with options like two tone interior etc..

I've seen 2 different badgings....One says Collector's Edition the other, 40th Anniversary. Does anyone know how many of each were made?

[quote author=Jonathan_Ferguson link=board=2;threadid=6485;start=msg52489#msg52489 date=1066551903]
The 40th Aniversery was based on the GXL, Where as the Getaway was based on the R.V. Never heard of the Collectors Edition.
[/quote]

Both the RV and the Getaway were also GXL based, being GXL's with no wheel arch flares. The Getaway was an Aus special runout model for the pre 95, and the RV was 95 on "cheap" GXL to compete with the ni$$an GU at the time.

[quote author=Jonathan_Ferguson link=board=2;threadid=6485;start=msg52489#msg52489 date=1066551903]
The 40th Aniversery was based on the GXL, Where as the Getaway was based on the R.V. Never heard of the Collectors Edition.
[/quote]

Just FYI Jonathan - I believe the OZ (read UPSIDE DOWN VERSION) 40th Anniversary was a different year than the US which was 1997 :flipoff2:

Either way, I would advise anyone looking at a 97 to AVOID the 40th's based on the crappy climate control system mentioned in numerous other threads.

Ok, there is cup holder for the front, right above the cd player. Optional rear air deflector, TRD supercharger made by Kazuma for gas engine. Snorkel. Does your LC have turbo diesel with manual trans? GPS system.Suspension upgrade from SOR here in the States or go to Australian website which would be closer to you and look for Mannel motors and talk to Nick. I had experience offroading in SE Asia with my dad in a FJ40 and it was a lot of fun. :)

No, I have a gas engine. Cup holder is there already. Supercharger? My engine has already too much power for the roads here and I will never tow anything. Suspension will be new soon. Thanks for the reply. There are some nice places here for wheeling and my rig is just right for everything.

Mike

I remember reading somewhere that the Collector's Editions were rebadged by dealers to make them seem exclusive like the 40th anniversary editions. The 40th anniversary editions had some special paints (sage green was one) and they had the tu-tone leather interiors and the Lexus AC/Heat Controls. I believe the Collectors Editions were just normal US spec'd 80s with plates and floor mats. I have seen both 40th anniversary editions with and without lockers, so in my mind they were not fully loaded. This is just in the US. I have no clue about what the rest of the world got for special editions, other than we get screwed all the time.

The Collector edition IS NOT a dealer re-badging.

It has body side mouldings, black pearl emblems, dark wheel accent paint and climate control A/C. In addition it has emblems on the fenders. The difference between a Collector and a 40th(other than badging, Sage color, and floor mats) is the tu-tone leather in the 40th. Locks were optional on both.

D-

Like I said I read it somewhere. Why did other markets not get the collector's editions? Just curious if you know why? The explaination made sense to me.

Marketing for North America, I guess. Same with the 40th.

I have a 97 Limited, not a 40th or Coll. Edition, but here in Asia the Limited had Climate Control, Carpets, Two tone, rear AC, Cool Box, Compass/Altimeter, etc. etc.

I think there was nowhere else a special edition, only in the States. Somebody told me that in Europe the models from 93 had all lockers as standard. It was written in a review by a famous auto magazine.

Mike

C-Dan,
In addition to your list, the CE came with custom floor mats and a nifty jacket for the owner. Not many of the CE jackets have been given to second owners.

CE's were available in all colors; 40th in Sage and that venerable green... can't remember the name or code right now... oh yeah, it was Wizard of Oz Green, or was it Emerald Green?
-B-

Wulf,

You know dang well that it's 6M1 Emerald green, just like my slippers :flipoff2:

I mentioned floor mats, I don't remember a jacket, please expand.

(Beonese to follow, no doubt)

Yes, I see you *did* mention the floor mats. The original purchaser of a CE was given a special "Collector's Edition" jacket. IIRC, it was 6M1 and looked like the jacket the golf pros get when they win the Masters.

Pity.

-B-

Next week I will show you some photos from my Non-USA stuff, like rear AC, Coolbox, etc.

I hope it will be interesting for you.

There is the switch for the shock adjustment:

What is the real diffrence between Normal and Sport? Some how I don't feel much difference.

Mike

I didn't know what kind of features I would purchase with this rig, but by now I am impressed. :rolleyes:

The only thing I don't understand is why Toy hadn't offered all options on the US-Market too. I think they would have made a nice deal and a lot of money.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom