Difference between FZJ and HDJ Axles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just out of curiosity...

I have a '91 HDJ81, K294's (locker axles) with rear discs and full floaters.
Everything I read says that you cant have 15's on rear discs. But, I have 'em. And I think everyone else with JDM's has them.

Does anyone know the difference between the Japanese version and the US version?

Here is my VIN plate, so you all dont think I am nuts, or too much:beer:.
And, who knows, maybe I actually have something other than a '91 because I have never been able to decode the VIN # myself.
IMG_4154.jpg

If I remember correctly, The JDM 91s have the same size axles as the 91-92 US axles. The only difference was the rear FF you have and the SF we US axles have. I wish i had the FF JDM axle you have because i have the JDM 15" rims on my LC. I swapped in a 94 FF axle under mines and got rid of the my 91 SF axle. I have to run 1" spacers to clear the calipers on the axles.

Also the lockers was not an option for the 91-92 US models untill 93-97.

Early 81's had smaller discs front and rear. The rears are very expensive.

You can put 15" rims on axles with larger discs but you need spacers and some creative carving with a grinder.

Depending on the offset, with 1.5 spacers you don't have to grind. I have 1" spacers and i had to grind a little.

I just compared your VIN to mine. Apparently we have the exact same Cruiser; colour; trim; locker; plant; and transmission. The only difference is my last 7 # are 0003984 and yours are 0001063. But I was told mine was a 1990 and I would think your 1991 would have a higher #????. Mine had 16" rims when I bought it from PO. I may be wrong and mine is a newer model, or the VIN is not numerical.

DBWood you have a 1990

It shows built March 1990

Cheers

There are a few ways of doing this, all without learning a new language!

Easiest would be to go to www.toyodiy.com and go to parts reference and just simply enter your frame number and it will pull it up.

The other way is if you have the Toyota EPC installed on your computer you enter the frame number and it will pull it up also.

Cheers

Easiest would be to go to www.toyodiy.com and go to parts reference and just simply enter your frame number and it will pull it up.

The other way is if you have the Toyota EPC installed on your computer you enter the frame number and it will pull it up also.

Cheers
Thanks
Apparently mine was made Aug 1990.

Early 81's had smaller discs front and rear. The rears are very expensive.

So, my next brake job might start with a thread that says "can I put larger discs on my '90 full floaters?"

I just compared your VIN to mine. Apparently we have the exact same Cruiser; colour; trim; locker; plant; and transmission. The only difference is my last 7 # are 0003984 and yours are 0001063. But I was told mine was a 1990 and I would think your 1991 would have a higher #????. Mine had 16" rims when I bought it from PO. I may be wrong and mine is a newer model, or the VIN is not numerical.

Mike, you have good taste sir!

DBWood you have a 1990

It shows built March 1990

Cheers

BCR, thanks for the link. And clarification. I have looked for one before but only found the Japanese ones like Mike.

Well, at least now I am sure that I will clear the 15 year rule for Canada Customs when I ship it back, and they won't hassle me about airbags etc.....

No, that will not work,you need the bigger rear disc from a 93,the calipers are the same from 90 to 97 HDJ,93 to 97 FZJ,and this is the part that is hard to find,the 93 up rear backing plate with all the handbrake parts to make it work.
Simon

Simon, couldn't we just buy all the parts from a '93 or newer FZ? Rotors, calipers, pads and bolt them on to the HDJ?
When I bought axle seals, and bearings they sent me US spec parts and they worked....

Cheers

Apparently, a quick & dirty way to get approx. built date is to read off the seat belt tags. They hv dates printed.

Your truck is built in March 1990. Mine has a S/N 2272 and it is built in April 1990 and registered here as such.

I have the same brake rotors and 15" rims as yours. I would like to upgrade but still have lots of rubber left on the current 15" wheels as well as a good set of winter tires on 15" rims too. Have to wait till both wear out before I upgrade to the bigger rotors and buy 16" (or 17") rims.

I put 7x15" (1984 toy pickup) steelies onto my 1997 LX450 without any problems other than a 10 minutes with a grinder to the rear calipers. So if you 'upgrade' to the bigger rear brakes, you can do it without switching to larger rims and tires.

Front brakes cleared the 7x15" rims without any modifications

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom