Diff shop in OC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

boydmick

RIP My Friend
SILVER Star
Threads
Can anyone recommend a differential shop in Orange County. I'm looking to regear soon.:D

I plan to remove the third members myself, but do not have enough experience to set up ring and pinions myself.

I'm also curious if I should buy the R&P from the shop or buy online and take to the shop?

Lastly, what's the consensus around here on gear manufacturers? I'm leaning toward 4:88s.

Thanks in advance!

Stock gears and those big new tires weren't a good fit at Moab? How'd you like the tires?

We need a trip report and pics, and of course, a progress report on your regearing!

Welcome home!!!

Lots of positive stuff on the board about Just Differentials, but they are up in LA. YotaMasters in Corona or SDTrux down in San Diego?

iron pig has a special on R&P. comes with master overhaul kits and free shipping.

Boyd,

For Orange County there's Unitrax and Currie, but i don't think Currie will touch a Yota 3rd member... but that being said i'd drive the extra 17 miles and take your 3rds over to Yotamasters. Tell them i sent you and you want the good guy deal. They use quality gears sold from All Pro , Marlin etc. I would stay away from brands you've never heard of.

I think these prices are old.
Toyta Masters

Stock gears and those big new tires weren't a good fit at Moab? How'd you like the tires?

:flipoff2:

Highway manners were fine because of the Supercharger.:flipoff2:
Standard mud tire drone at highway speeds.

Performance in the rocks was great! Very grippy. Cindy even drove an entire day.:princess::steer:

No rubbing at all in the twisties (OME heavies front, medium rear), but when both sides compress together; well, let's just say more lift is in the near future.

The biggest difference I noticed between the 285 ATs and the 315 MTs:
I need significantly more initial throttle to get the tires moving.
I'm in boost waaaay more often.
Handling is nowhere near as crisp as it was before. It feels like the big MT tread blocks are flexing more laterally than the ATs did. Could just be the inch more sidewall though:meh:
I have much more street cred with the 909 crowd (although I'm told i should have 20 inch rims and 8 inches more lift:rolleyes:).

I spend 80% of my time in around town driving and that's what's motivating the gear swap (plus I just got my refund check:cool:)

Summer 2009 projects:
Regear.
More lift (maybe FOR?).
Dynamat.

Trip report and pics to follow. . . .

Refresh my memory - KM2's?

BFG KM2s

Boyd,

For Orange County there's Unitrax and Currie, but i don't think Currie will touch a Yota 3rd member... but that being said i'd drive the extra 17 miles and take your 3rds over to Yotamasters. Tell them i sent you and you want the good guy deal. They use quality gears sold from All Pro , Marlin etc. I would stay away from brands you've never heard of.

Toyta Masters

Currie is who first came to mind and I wondered the same thing. I figured the Ford 9" uses a third member, how different could it be?

Sounds like Yotamasters be the place!:cheers:

Boyd,

Toyta Masters

If those prices are old - do you know the new prices? A regear is is next on my mod list for sure. What is the SOCALFJ good guy price?:beer:

Boyd:

I second Yoda-masters for the re-gear job. They worked on my rigs front diff (leaky ARB) and I would take it there again. Like you said pull the diff’s yourself and take’m there. Should save you a ton of coin since taking them out and putting them back in is a time consumer. I run the Sierra Gears from West Coast Diff’s. I’ve only heard good things about them from the editors of the 4x4 mags. Mine, well they have worked great with no issues. I am checking with my buddy Mac at Superior Axle and Gear to get the low down on gears. Mac was the marketing person for Randy’s Ring and Pinion for a ton of years before working at Superior. He knows the gear business, it’s important to get a quality product. A lot of junk out of China has piss poor quality control. If I can I will see if he will offer a special SoCal 80s discount. Let me know when you want to tear into everything. I should be able to come over and help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom