Diff Locks for 70 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi! New Mud member here but excited to learn more! Background: I'm looking to buy and interested in a 70 series RHD preferred, diesel, and manual transmission 73, 77, or 78, not Prado (Not too strict on or deal breakers on any of those however, just preferences). Question(s): What year models or 70 series models came with factory lockers/ triple locked and how will you know? Will there be similar telling signs to look for when buying such as the K294 number on the 80 series door plates? Or the diff lock turn knob by the steering wheel? Because the 70 series has been out for so long, I'm just unsure when they started having them. Appreciate all info! Thanks!

Early models with lockers had manually activated lockers with handles under the dash. Don’t know when they went with electric lockers, I would guess in 1990. No triple lockers on 70 series. Yes, the electric ones have a rotary knob like on the 80 series. These also have some kind of lights usually in the instrument cluster.

Up through 1989 they used cable lockers, in 1990 they went to E-lockers with the rotary switch. HD models (1HZ and 1PZ powered) could be optioned with front and rear lockers, Prados only got a rear locker. The data tag with axle codes is on the firewall in the engine bay, axle codes should be the same as 80-series.

I have a 86 BJ75 with cable lockers, axle code on the fire wall data plate is K084- indicates 9.5" third members, 4.11 gears and diff locks. As mentioned above, two handles for engaging the manual diff locks are under the left side of the dash (LHD model) and diff lock indicator lights are in the gauge cluster. 1990 and later the front axle changed to 8" high pinion third member.

Some good information on axle codes is here:

Welcome to the 70-series section!

To add to these posts and to clarify, if you don't want a prado, you can cross the 78 off your list.

Based on your wish list, you should look for the following, and find one from Japan if you want to import.

If you want a short wheelbase:
- BJ70 / BJ71 (B-series diesel engines)
- PZJ70 / PZJ71 (P-series diesel, basically a 5-cyl 1HZ)
- HZJ70 / HZJ71 (1HZ)

Middy:
- BJ73 / BJ74
- PZJ73
- HZJ73

4-Door:
- PZJ77
- HZJ77

I would recommend going for the 1HZ of your perferred wheelbase. An HZJ70, 73, or 77 from Japan, with a diff-lock switch on the left side under the steering wheel is what you would want to look for. Years would be 1990-1997 (25-year import rule).

If you don't mind a LHD this one might be available for viewing in Texas in a couple of months...

Personally, I would get the cleanest, mostly rust free cruiser you can afford. That would pretty much negate anything coming from South America, which usually doesn't have a lot of diesels anyway.

73/77 puts you into an HZJ73 or HZJ77, and then your preference is whether you want 2 door and topless ability or 4 door. Should be able to find a clean manual in one of those models. Lockers will be a little harder to find, but there are a few options ARB, Eaton for lockers so focus on the best shape cruiser you can get.

Just saw this one for sale and it's already here in the US. If I didn't already have a 70 I would jump on this. Assuming it isn't rusty there's no way you'll get an HZJ77 for this cheap even buying one at auction in Japan. Log in or sign up to view - https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/712686069697601/
thanks for sharing, I looked at that one and was wondering about the rust in the rear right I believe. Doesn't seem to be that much from what pictures have shown but I don't know how much it could cost to repair for those amounts---assuming that that's truly all of it

I have a 86 BJ75 with cable lockers, axle code on the fire wall data plate is K084- indicates 9.5" third members, 4.11 gears and diff locks. As mentioned above, two handles for engaging the manual diff locks are under the left side of the dash (LHD model) and diff lock indicator lights are in the gauge cluster. 1990 and later the front axle changed to 8" high pinion third member.

Some good information on axle codes is here:

Something like this :).

I have a HZJ75 (1998) but with the BJ axles and cable diff locks front and rear "retrofitted". At the top of the picture are the indicator lights (green and orange).

John.

IMG_0397.JPG

Have you tried looking at some websites in Japan? I bought mine through the internet. They deal with overseas customers.
IMG_0598.jpeg

I bought this one and it came with electric rear diff lockers it is a 1990 LJ78 with a 2LTE engine with a manual transmission.
I'm stationed here in Okinawa and will be heading back to the US this fall with my 70 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom