Diff Lock lights won't stop flashing??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

NSP

Threads
Hello,

I am new to this forum and new to LC's. I had a fj60 and fj62 a few years ago, but then a short three year stunt with a Diesel Chevy 1994 Blazer (for sale)...

Anyway, I picked up a 1997 LC 40th Anniversary, in gray, with diffs, 79k miles...When I took it home I tried applying the lockers...when I switch it on the don't stop flashing.

Oh, also the airbag light stays on....the dealer said he would bring it to the Toyota dealer....but just wondering...

Thank you for your help.

Regards.........Nick

if lights are flashing, diff aint a lockin. You are on dirt, in low range, it take a bit of wheel movement before they lock. Drive in circles in low on the dirt for a while. FWIW if the diff locks havn't ever(or seldom) been locked they often don't lock. THe fix I don't think is bad.

Welcome to the forum :beer: and congrats on your new baby. :cheers:

When tring to lock the diffs, press the brake (not emergency) with your foot, have gear selector in neutral, and transfer case in 4lo.

Let us know...

Thanks for the speedie replies....I will try it again in the morning and advise.....Nick

Having air bag warning light will also kill other systems (eg cruise control - at least that's what I found). My light was on and I took it to the dealer (don't fawk with it yourself given that it's explosive :eek:). I can't remember the part, but it was some cable that had to be replaced.

Air bag fixed, CC fixed and now my steering wheel is just making some strange creaking noise...not sure what to do...

Cheers, Hugh

I'll give you a dollar for it.

Mine wouldn't either for a while, but after trying them for a few days, they finally lock pretty fast. We just bought our 97 2 weeks ago, and I think the PO probably never used them. It's so fun to play with them, I just got my new diff operation label for the drivers door, ( I think the detailers at the dealership wiped the words off when cleaning the inside!!)

[quote author=offroadkid link=board=2;threadid=11046;start=msg99507#msg99507 date=1075953572]
I just got my new diff operation label for the drivers door[/quote]

I tore that thing off! Talk about an invitation to some car jockey or newbie mechanic to start fiddling with the truck.

I'm funny like that!! I've been waiting impatiently for it!! Besides, I'm a mechanic, so hopefully I'm the only one who will be fiddling with it!!

I once looked at a 95 cruiser in santa fe, nm that was for sale (many years ago), white lockers and it was nice. I tried to put the lockers in and the lights danced on the dash. Nothing happened for all I tried until I looked at the axles and found no locking diff's in the axle housing. I walked away from this truck. I did have a chuckle and wonder why some one would pull the diffs and replace them with non locking one's. The harness were tied back at the frame. Made me wonder.
One other time I worked on a J**p for a guy and he wanted me to make the front axle work. Well when I pulled the hubs I found no ring gear on the diff, the axles were there but the diff needed to be rebuilt. The stuff people sell to others. later Robbie

You guys were right....I tried it in the dirt & moved steering wheel back and forth while reversing and presto....it worked !!! Thanks for the input....Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom