1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diff lock leaking

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by blu 60, Jul 7, 2005.

1. blu 60

blu 60

So, I replaced my rear diff lock actuator after discovering that it was very corroded inside, but now I have a leak coming from the area. There are no gaskets on either the actuator to housing or the inspection cover to housing. What permatex type stuff should I use there?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Herman in Houston

2. RavenTai

RavenTai

it was suppose to be sealed sith FIPG when you installed it, any good medium/high temp RTV should do. clean all the surfaces with solvent first, IIRC you will need to drain some of the fluid out of the diff,

3. blu 60

blu 60

Good, I thought some RTV would do the trick, and yes a bunch of oil has to be drained.

Herman in Houston :banana:

4. Jim_Chow

Jim_Chow

Blu, how much did the actuator assembly cost? I heard you can only buy the entire assembly (motor, gears, housing), not the individual parts.

Anyone know if the old 70-series factory cable-operated lockers are compatible w/ newer electric lockers? (ie, can one replace the actuator motor w/ a factory cable?).

5. blu 60

blu 60

Jim

$560 from Cruiser Dan just don't forget the RTV sealant like I did!

Herman :doh:

6. nyk438

nyk438

What is the RTV stuff? Can I use it to replace the gasket on my fj80 oil pan?

7. CharlieS

CharlieS

RTV is Room Temperature Vulcanizing rubber. RTV sealant is used for gasket material. I suppose you could use it for an oil pan, but why do that when you can use an actual gasket?

Call CDan...

Charlie