Diff lock display in tachometer/ rpm meter KZJ 77/78 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone, I'm Alex and new here on the forum. I have a KZJ77 conversion to 78 automatic transmission. I have installed front and rear differential locks, but they are not connected yet.
I am looking for a tachometer (rpm meter) with a corresponding indicator for the front and rear locks. As far as I know there was one in the HZJ 73, maybe someone knows where I can get one or has one of you.

Attached is a photo of the gauge.

many thanks and greetings
Alex

Diff locker.JPG

Hello,

These can be a bit difficult to source.

This tachometer is for the Heavy Duty 70 Series. KZJ7x Light Duty 70 Series only had a rear locker. I understand yours is the latter.

Maybe you can try Dave Stedman at Japan4x4.

Maybe JDMStan, a vendor with 'MUD, can find one for you.

Hope this helps.

Juan

Hello,

These can be a bit difficult to source.

This tachometer is for the Heavy Duty 70 Series. KZJ7x Light Duty 70 Series only had a rear locker. I understand yours is the latter.
The one in the photo is definitely not from a KJZ78 like the post title suggests. I had to source a tach for a KZJ78 last year and was willing to take either the diff lock or non-diff lock version and it took forever. I ended up having to buy a used instrument cluster and stripped the tach out of that. I bought it on eBay... can't remember if it was on the US site or the Australian site. I know the seller was in the UAE and had multiple instrument clusters at the time.

The one in the photo is definitely not from a KJZ78 like the post title suggests. I had to source a tach for a KZJ78 last year and was willing to take either the diff lock or non-diff lock version and it took forever. I ended up having to buy a used instrument cluster and stripped the tach out of that. I bought it on eBay... can't remember if it was on the US site or the Australian site. I know the seller was in the UAE and had multiple instrument clusters at the time.
Yes you are absolutely right. The KZJ has a different instrument. However, I have front and rear diff lockers installed, so the question if I can get exactly this spare part, even if original installed in another J7. Thanks for your tip, I will look on ebay if I can possibly find one.

I posted this earlier but deleted it as I saw the part is different despite it is listed for a KZJ78. It is a tach for sale on mecari but you need to have a proxy service to buy it (like buyee.jp).

https://jp.mercari.com/item/m25803044605

View attachment 3280992
OK, thanks for the tip. Now it would only be one that also has the display for the front diff lock installed. Otherwise I would have to buy this and possibly mill out. Thanks already once.

OK, thanks for the tip. Now it would only be one that also has the display for the front diff lock installed. Otherwise I would have to buy this and possibly mill out. Thanks already once.

There is quite a bit of KZJ78 part out stuff on those yahoo auctions and whatnot. Most likely you will have to buy a whole cluster if and when the specific tach you want gets posted though.

Like others have said, to get both the front and rear diff lock lights in the tachometer you’ll need a tach from one of the heavy duty Land Cruiser models. Make sure that the tach you get is from a 12 volt vehicle. One thing I’m not sure about is if the tachometer from an HD model will run on the signal from the 1KZ-TE ECU, especially if the tach is from an HZJ7x cruiser. You’d be dealing with 4cyl signal fed into a 6cyl tach.

Yes you are absolutely right. The KZJ has a different instrument. However, I have front and rear diff lockers installed, so the question if I can get exactly this spare part, even if original installed in another J7. Thanks for your tip, I will look on ebay if I can possibly find one.
Let's assume for a second you find this tach, it fits the KZJ78 instrument cluster, and uses the same connectors so that A) the tach is reading the correct RPM and B) the rear diff lock indicator light functions. Where would the tach get a signal for the front diff lock? Since the KZJ78 was never offered with a factory front diff locker, there wouldn't be a signal passed through the instrument cluster plugs to operate that diff lock indicator light. You'd have to figure out how to run an additional wire from the sensor that confirms your front diff is locked through the back of the instrument cluster and to the tach circuit with the front diff lock indicator light. This doesn't seem like a plug-and-play kind of solution.

Like others have said, to get both the front and rear diff lock lights in the tachometer you’ll need a tach from one of the heavy duty Land Cruiser models. Make sure that the tach you get is from a 12 volt vehicle. One thing I’m not sure about is if the tachometer from an HD model will run on the signal from the 1KZ-TE ECU, especially if the tach is from an HZJ7x cruiser. You’d be dealing with 4cyl signal fed into a 6cyl tach.
That's right, I have to find out if I can change the signal. But it's all so intense, the question is whether it's still worth it. Had rather hoped for a plug & play solution.

Let's assume for a second you find this tach, it fits the KZJ78 instrument cluster, and uses the same connectors so that A) the tach is reading the correct RPM and B) the rear diff lock indicator light functions. Where would the tach get a signal for the front diff lock? Since the KZJ78 was never offered with a factory front diff locker, there wouldn't be a signal passed through the instrument cluster plugs to operate that diff lock indicator light. You'd have to figure out how to run an additional wire from the sensor that confirms your front diff is locked through the back of the instrument cluster and to the tach circuit with the front diff lock indicator light. This doesn't seem like a plug-and-play kind of solution.
I'm afraid it's going to be harder than I thought it would be. The goal was to get relatively close to the original parts. If there is no other way, then I guess I'll have to install an external light. If necessary via a panel in the center console. The solution with the tachometer I would have found very good because of the originality.
Otherwise, I guess I have to buy a HZJ 73 in 24 volts, then the problem is solved easier. Only my wallet must play there also :D Thanks already for the numerous responses and help.

i do have a brand new tacho for kzj78 w/rear diff lock.
the tacho w/F&R difflock couldn't be found anymore today.
i've seen some KZJ71 , 78 ,LJ70 or LJ79 comes with oem F&R difflocks.

I'm afraid it's going to be harder than I thought it would be. The goal was to get relatively close to the original parts. If there is no other way, then I guess I'll have to install an external light. If necessary via a panel in the center console. The solution with the tachometer I would have found very good because of the originality.
Otherwise, I guess I have to buy a HZJ 73 in 24 volts, then the problem is solved easier. Only my wallet must play there also :D Thanks already for the numerous responses and help.
It sounds like both your front and rear diff lockers are aftermarket additions? Do they have a switch that senses whether the differential is properly locked? I've not worked on any locking diffs yet, but I know on transmissions and locking center differentials (transfer case), there is a switch that changes from open to closed to confirm whether the transmission or transfer case made the move you told it to make. If your lockers have a switch like this, it means there is an electrical signal that could tell an indicator light to illuminate... I'm not saying it's easy, but there is a pathway where you could run the signal from those switches to an indicator light somewhere where you could confirm your differentials are locked. It would probably be easier to figure out how to put those indicator lights somewhere other than inside the instrument cluster as there would be no simple way for the wires from your diff lock position switches to get inside the instrument cluster.

It sounds like both your front and rear diff lockers are aftermarket additions? Do they have a switch that senses whether the differential is properly locked? I've not worked on any locking diffs yet, but I know on transmissions and locking center differentials (transfer case), there is a switch that changes from open to closed to confirm whether the transmission or transfer case made the move you told it to make. If your lockers have a switch like this, it means there is an electrical signal that could tell an indicator light to illuminate... I'm not saying it's easy, but there is a pathway where you could run the signal from those switches to an indicator light somewhere where you could confirm your differentials are locked. It would probably be easier to figure out how to put those indicator lights somewhere other than inside the instrument cluster as there would be no simple way for the wires from your diff lock position switches to get inside the instrument cluster.
As far as I know there is a differential installed on the rear axle from the kzj90/95 and on the front axle from the HDJ 80. So both are original Toyota, although from different vehicles. The simplest solution will be to build me a panel for the front and rear differential with two lights. First I need to complete the wiring once and test it outside the vehicle. I'll report back when I've made further progress. Thank you and best regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom