Diff Lock Actuator Sticking (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yesterday I was crossing a stream that had plenty of water and loose gravel in it, so decided that I would lock my '96 down to be safe. It seemed to have difficulty locking though it finally locked, front and rear.

As I was leaving the farm, I decided to try the locks again, since they had been slow engaging earlier. They would not lock, either front or rear. I understand that the actuators stick and I have seen Slee's write up. Is there anything short of rebuilding that I can do to test the actuators?

And, as stock, it did very well crossing a loose bottom stream which came up to about 3 inches above the door sill. Getting stuck would not have been a good thing.....

Will

Instead of rebuilding the lockers, just take the tall blond next door along with you and tell her to get out and push. ;)
CJ

She would have needed to exit the window as the water would have poured in the truck.

Have your actuators given you a hard time?

So, are you no longer a Ford man?

If so, congrats.....

You are correct. I'm no longer a Ford sucker.

My rear actuator gave me a hard time when I first bought the truck. I'd turn the switch, watch the lights flash, watch the lights flash and then, watch the lights some more until they finally engaged after driving in slow zig zags.
I took it out on a old dirt road and repeated this process over and over until it finally began to speed up. Last weekend I went on the AOA tour through the muddy hills near Lewisburg, WV and they behaved perfectly.

I am figuring that mine are suffering from lack of use since the previous owner probably thought the switch had something to do with child door locks.

The first few times that I engaged them they worked well, so I am at a loss as to why they are now slow to engage. I guess they are sealed, so with no way to lubricate.

I want them functional......for the occasional need.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom