Diff drain plug protection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Who makes a nice piece of armor to protect the diff drain plug on my 40? The original protection ring is finally worn down so much that my drain plug loosened while wheeling. Looking to get a weld on piece of armor and looking for suggestions/recommendations. Thanks in advance for any help!

You could use a thread-o-let. It’s a threaded bung used in pipefitting. I used these often in my trade and a few of my swamp buggy friends hit me up for some to use on their diffs. Some welded them over the existing drain for protection and some used them as the drain themselves either replacing what they had or to add another in a better location. The 3000lb psi version is common and quite stout.

TOL.jpg

I cut mine out and welded it.
I recommend welding the plug shut and using the lower cover bolt to drain it.
That or get a piece of 1/2" sheet steel, grind down the old ring and weld the steel on.
Who makes a nice piece of armor to protect the diff drain plug on my 40? The original protection ring is finally worn down so much that my drain plug loosened while wheeling. Looking to get a weld on piece of armor and looking for suggestions/recommendations. Thanks in advance for any help!

Gary, try John Merkey sp? He makes a ring to weld to replace the worn out stock ring. I have them on my diffs.

X2 on what Stump said. I got tired of mine coming loose so they are now welded. Pull a diff cover stud or 2 to drain or use a suction pump.

Gary

I just weld an extra bead or two around the bung to beef it up, and reweld it after I grind it down on the trail. Could make it a t-shirt logo:

Weld, grind on rocks, repeat.

And switch to the hex plugs.

What would Chris @Jakes40 do?

@65swb45 That's a good Idea! I may try that!

I like to beat the edge of the ring into a flat spot on the bolt to hold it in!

My next axle will have the hex plugs becouse thay are already in them. Or welded close if I get ambitious!

Last edited:
This is the end of story, all else is extra work looking for attention....

So says the man who’s never been to the Rubicon...or wheeled with Gary,Chris or Stump. I have ground the bung on my 40 down to where I’ve damaged the Allen plug. So it is definitely not the end of the story.

I agree weld it closed with a plug, and add some armor and one of these to the cover

Weld-in Drain or Fill Plug

Btw getting it real clean to weld on is a pain..

Marks solution is easy and works if you dont want to strip it all down and clean it.. done both, if you go marks way add the allen plugs and locktite them..

That’s a cool product i didn’t know I needed!

Thanks for the link.

Dan always has little stuff i never thought about or knew i needed, amazing guy to pick his brain comes up with some great solutions..

Like you he is still making cruisers better year after year....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom