1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

diff drain plug inspection, WDYT?

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Jasonredwood, Nov 13, 2017 at 2:27 PM.

1. Jasonredwood

Jasonredwood

Media:
    Getting the 85 FJ60 closer and closer to being on the road. Drained rear diff and the fluid looked okay for sitting for 15 years. A little gray but hey, its been ooooooold. Rear drain plug looked okay, some flakes but nothing crazy. The front fluid went from dark to clearish to a gray dark color. The plug had a piece of metal on it that I wanted to get the mud opinion on this. Im replacing the fluid with Redline 75w90 and plugs are getting switched out with the hex plugs. Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 12.17.42 PM.png

2. Jasonredwood

Jasonredwood

Media:
    BTW its a metal shaving.

Guessing I should pull the diff cover and see what else is going on.
    New to diff.

3. hj 60

hj 60 JT1W0HJ6000960839

No need for expensive oil now, first flush more, every 5000 km at least and after water crossings so plenty of changes ahead.
    That seems a bit of the drilled out hole for the bolts, no problem.
    not the best picture, sorry:
    [​IMG]

If the front axle seal is leaking grease from the birf can mix with gear oil:
    My hj has optional grease zerc for the birfield so I pump them to full and thought it would exit trough the felt gasket, wrong:
    (I don't see this as a major problem, more to worry about than some gear oil mix with fat grease :wrench: :meh:)

[​IMG]

If the hex plugs have no magnet I would not use them.

When the diff is apart YOU MUST CHECK AND ADJUST THE Carrier Bearing Pre-Load CBPL (No measuring, No trouble) !

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] toyota carrier bearing preload [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Again to much to copy paste, all torque settings and fsm about diff is here in 5 pages, just skip the lokka wandering :cheers: : LOKKA rear+front difflock TOY-RO-404 406:30 spline - hj60.freeforums.org

A 6 dollar usb camera with led fits trough the holes and works with a laptop with VLC media player, (open tab media, click something like remote device or recording device whatever) just fun to have, 30 years ago impossible.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017 at 5:39 PM
    Jasonredwood and GLTHFJ60 like this.
  4. GLTHFJ60

GLTHFJ60 Rum Runnin' SILVER Star

5. Jasonredwood

Jasonredwood

Media:
    Thanks for the link. I’ll look into it. Does look like the left overs of a drilled out hole, thanks. The hex bolts do have the magnet.

Gota love mud.

Thanks again.