Diff cover hardware advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Got some ruffstuff diff covers for the 60/14 bolt on my FJ60 and am trying to figure out what the best mounting hardware/method would be.

Took a couple pics of the options.

Regular bolt

Tacogrille018.jpg

Countersunk allen head using drilled washer (tapered inner dia. to accept allen head)

Tacogrille019.jpg

Or countersink the bolts right into the diff flange

Tacogrille017.jpg

The second option sits pretty flush compared to the bolt but if I sunk the bolts into the flange it would be totally flush.

Any advice?

D

Last edited:
Flush is going to get fubared just as much as normal ol bolts.

Flush is a helll of allot harder to get out in the future.

Allens are a biitch anyways. Always packed with dirt and hard to keep from stripping.

Normal ol hex bolts are tough and come off easily with a pair of normal ol visegrips when they are damaged too much for a wrench.

Good point.

D

Flush is going to get fubared just as much as normal ol bolts.

Flush is a helll of allot harder to get out in the future.

Allens are a biitch anyways. Always packed with dirt and hard to keep from stripping.

Normal ol hex bolts are tough and come off easily with a pair of normal ol visegrips when they are damaged too much for a wrench.

yep..

only cool thing about allens are they "look" cooler..

Hex, lots easier to grind off when it gets screwed up. Also easier to find if you need to replace one.

What about welding a 1" tube to the lower holes and studding the lowers??? JAT

i'm here to disagree! :flipoff2:

i like running allen bolts on diff covers. on these, i'd run button heads. so what if a little dirt gets trapped in there? that's what picks are for. and if the head one one of them gets buggered up, then weld a nut to it and unscrew it. big deal! :rolleyes:

flamesuit on. :eek:

georg

i like running allen bolts on diff covers. on these, i'd run button heads. so what if a little dirt gets trapped in there? that's what picks are for. and if the head one one of them gets buggered up, then weld a nut to it and unscrew it. big deal! :rolleyes:

georg

Wow Georg, I was thinking the same thing looking at the pictures. Maybe a flange head hex would be OK also.

georg

So what's the benefit to the allens then?

dont get me wrong, allens look bitchin but id go with the hex bolt.

easier to work a mangled one off etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom