Diff Breathers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
???Ok, I got B's instructions on the diff breathers.  If anyone has a good pic showing where exactly the valve on the 93 FJZ's is on the axles, xfer case, and tranny is.  Just need something for reference as I dont have a FSM yet :(.  Heh funny thing happened to me today as well.  Went to the Toyota Center to pickup a part I ordered and was goning to get a labour estimate on Shocks+Spring install.  The Head Mechanic thought that the 80's had leaf springs.  I laughed and just thought wow.   Anyways.  Any other advice on the diff breather install would be helpful.  Gonna get it done in South Carolina 90 degree heat!    :-/

Also are P-Clamps nessicary? No one has them or even knows what they are.

zip-ties work fine.

Jon,

>> Any other advice on the diff breather install would be helpful. <<

Two pages of Beonese and you want more advice? ! ?

frdiff.jpg

The breather nipple on the axle housing is where the rubber hose attaches in the picture above from George's web site. It is right above the black letters saying "Front diff, US/DS" in the above image.

You can get P-clamps at NAPA. Wire ties will work; they just don't look OEM and plastic gets brittle with age.

Installing springs and shocks is easy if you don't break any shock bolts. Search the archives for step-by-step instructions or ask if you can't find something that explains in detail what you need to do.

-B-

Well its my first DIY mod and i dont wana screw it up you know? The smother it goes the better. I guess if I have any problems with B's instructions then i'll ask for help. Anyways give my a break, im from South Carolina!

Jon:

I did mine a few weeks ago with no problems. As suggested in the notes, it's great to have a clean truck and have it on jack stands or ramps to give you some room to work with. I had neither and it still went fine.

Make sure you have a good light / flashlight / headlamp as I found good light to be critical. I used zip ties to install - very quick and I figured in better conditions I could go back and replace with clamps if needed. I also ran one breather hose from the rear and a second hose from the front (no T junctions to worrry about).

It's relatively easy to see the connections once you are under the truck (I removed the spare, you may not need to if you have it on stands) - as you see in the picture the hose is fairly obvious (in the rear) and you will see that it terminates about 1' higher. Just squeeze the clamp by hand and it should slip off quite easily. Same with the front.

To remove the breather I just used wire cutters to cut the hose just below the clamp that holds the breathers. Then use your paw and grab on to the breather and pull it out from the top.

PS Make sure you wear eye protectors!!

Cheers, Hugh

I have managed the front extension so far. Grit in the eye is the only complaint. If you buy P clamps make sure the mounting hole is big enough to put the bolts through that are on the list. I had to drill mine out with a drill press.

Hi Simon - Given us Canuck's don't have NAPA auto parts, where did you get your P clamps?

Others - is that the standard automotive term? Most auto supply places are looking at me funny when I tell them P clamps. :doh:

Also do you have to drill and tap the frame to take the bolt for the P clamp? :-\

I've got the 1/4" id hose but that's it. This is my weekend project.

Riley,
I don't know where you live at in Canada but there are lots of NAPA stores. http://www.napaonlinecanada.com/uap/Client/en/Napa-Online/index.asp
Anyway, what you are looking for is an "insulated closed clamp",
and for the hose you said you have probably NAPA part # 770-1159 would be a place to start. That would have a 3/4 inch dia. opening for around the hose and a 9/32" hole for like a 1/4" bolt. They usually sell them in bags of five. Canadian Tire would probably have the same things. They make many different sizes. Just try to find a "free" bolt or double up with something else if that works out for you. FWIW, the NAPA hose clamps for 1/4" I.D. hose is 705-1170. Size 4 - fits 1/8 to 5/16 I.D. hose. Hope this helps.
Bill

Insulated closed clamps

Bill - thanks for the info. The pictures help a lot.

I'll try crappy tire. I was boycotting (spelling?) them after their grease gun wasted 30 minutes of Simon's and my time on birfield sunday.

I didn't know we had Napa in Canada. Cool.

Riley,

>> Also do you have to drill and tap the frame to take the bolt for the P clamp? <<

No. There are plenty of places to mount the P-clamps underneath locations that already have a bolt. Use the wire ties at any location where you don't have a bolt close.

As mentioned in the project write-up, the above pictured clamps (thanks Bill!) make the install look "factory." You can certainly use heavy black wire ties for a quicker and easier install. I recommend the above pictured clamps.

-B-

I'll get something done this weekend - one way or the other. I want to make sure my new birf job doesn't go up in a "vacuum". I suppose I can always go back in later with the clamps. Hopefully I can find some before I start in on this.

The pic does help as I wasn't really sure what to look for.

Yep, at least in Ontario, there are actually more Napas than C-tires. Often in really small towns as well. Maybe they're not in BC?

I very glad to have them. Did some off roading a few weeks ago with many water crossings in the 3+ foot range.

Cheers, Hugh

what do diff breathers do for ya, practically speaking?
E

[quote author=e9999 link=board=2;threadid=1590;start=msg52315#msg52315 date=1066502178]
what do diff breathers do for ya, practically speaking?
E
[/quote]

Keep water out of your differtial housings (oil). This is only an issue if you plan to be off road and in some water that is moderately deep. In stock form, the breathers terminate just above the axle, too low for any form of water crossing.

Cheers, Hugh

thanks, but I meant to ask "what do breathers do?" in general, not just long tubes vs short tubes...
I imagine to equalize pressure in and out of diff. Cuz the pressure would increase if the oil gets hot and the oil would be pushed out of the axle seals?
E

>> I imagine to equalize pressure in and out of diff. <<
Yes.
-B-

E,

If the diff were a sealed unit without a vent, when you douse it into cold water (puddle on road, water crossing, etc) the resulting cooling would create a very strong interior vacuum that would pull water in through even the best seals. Conversely, when heated, the seals would ooze gear oil due to high internal pressure. It simply allows the pressure to equalize.

IdahoDoug

Well I got the front breather done today and came up with a few questions:

1) I'm not sure about placing the vent cap back on the hose. I took the vent cap off and removed the spring and rubber stop. However the entire vent box is much larger than what -B- showed in his pictures. Exactly what does the vent cap sit on? Part of the black vent box thing? Perhaps there are different designs of the breather vent box, mine doesn't look like the cap section comes off.

I just left the hose open at the top and this seems fine but I'm just trying to understand how to recycle the vent cap.

2) I see the transfer and transmission hoses mounting on to the dip-stick. This seems high enough to me but I have trouble understanding how the hoses breath. Is there holes at the top of the hoses where they meet the dip stick? I can't see any.

Since this termination point seems high enough for my use, I am only concerned about their ability to breath.

Question - are the transfer and tranny hoses able to breath with the stock setup?

3) Is the breather for the rear diff basically the same height and design as the front?

Thanks and good instructions -B. :cheers:

Riley

P.S. Napa had exactly what I needed but I had to show them photoman's photo. It's true a pic is worth 1K words (16 bit words mind you).

Riley,

On later model vehicles the front breather valve is a bigger plastic "thing." If you'll read the instructions closely, it says to use the valve off the rear. That was intentional, as the rear is the one that can be modified.

>> Question - are the transfer and tranny hoses able to breath with the stock setup? <<

Yes. I haven't modified mine to "T" with the others yet. Maybe this fall. I agree they are pretty high as it is.

>> 3) Is the breather for the rear diff basically the same height and design as the front? <<

It may be a little lower. I don't remember.

-B-

Opps, Sorry B - I was using George's instructions and not yours.

Anyway I'll just leave the hose open in the engine compartment until I do the rear (need more hose).

The diff and tranny mods look like more of a pain, that can wait as I have other pressing service items to tend to.

Thanks for your help. I'll sleep better knowing that the seals in the front won't be under any stress from excess pressure.

Riley

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom