diff breather kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there a diff breather kit like ARB has for the 80? I’d rather buy a kit than try to compile a bunch of pieces. I can’t find anything online

Thanks

This is what you're looking for....

https://www.amazon.com/ARB-170112-D...sr=1-1&keywords=arb+differential+breather+kit

I have this kit installed on my 100 Series. Actually, 2 of these kits. I ran the rear diff breather up behind the left taillight so I would be able to maintain a consistent "rise" in the line. The front diff and transfer case breathers run up to the 2nd kit which is installed on the firewall.

https://www.amazon.com/ARB-170112-D...sr=1-1&keywords=arb+differential+breather+kit

I have this kit installed on my 100 Series. Actually, 2 of these kits. I ran the rear diff breather up behind the left taillight so I would be able to maintain a consistent "rise" in the line. The front diff and transfer case breathers run up to the 2nd kit which is installed on the firewall.

It says it doesn’t fit a 100 series. Is that true or will it fit my 06?

Any pictures of where you mounted the filter under the hood. Did you have to drill anywhere to get behind the taillight

It says it doesn’t fit a 100 series. Is that true or will it fit my 06?

Not at all sure why Amazon says that. It went right on my '98 LX (100 series) with zero issues.

Here's an interesting thread from a guy who constructed his own for a fraction of the cost of the ARB setup. I would have likely gone this route had I known earlier.

Finally extended my breathers

Any pictures of where you mounted the filter under the hood. Did you have to drill anywhere to get behind the taillight

I can take pics later today. I mounted my front one the same way as seen in the thread I posted. I just used the provided self-tapping screws to mount the filter assembly to the firewall. For the rear, I removed the outboard driver's side light assembly and mounted the filter using the same self-tapping screws. Probably won't disassemble to get a pic, but I'll see if I can find one.

The ARB units are nice looking, but you can extend your breathers for a lot less money and effort going the DIY route, no drilling of any holes required, and you get better performance, IMO.

Yup! Had I done more research, I would have gone the DIY route outlined in the thread above. But, I got antsy and went the more expensive ARB route :(

I have no doubt the ARB is quality. I wish the kit came with clear hose and three separate filters, though.

Hadn't considered clear hose. But, that would actually be a really good idea. Would make it easier to spot any blockages for sure.

Hadn't considered clear hose. But, that would actually be a really good idea. Would make it easier to spot any blockages for sure.
Yeah, the clear hose makes it easy to see if there's any fluid trapped in the hose. The other issue is that the hose needs to be as vertical as possible along its entire length to make sure that fluid doesn't get trapped in a horizontal section. If you have to route all of your breathers to the firewall, you could be in trouble. Hence, my desire for three separate filters.

Yeah, the clear hose makes it easy to see if there's any fluid trapped in the hose. The other issue is that the hose needs to be as vertical as possible along its entire length to make sure that fluid doesn't get trapped in a horizontal section. If you have to route all of your breathers to the firewall, you could be in trouble. Hence, my desire for three separate filters.

That's why I ran my rear up behind the tail light to a separate filter. I just couldn't figure out a way to keep a consistent "rise" in the line while accounting for rear axle flex when routing to the front. By doing it the way I did, I've got a constant rise with a slight helix to allow for flexing. The front and transfer case lines were easy to keep a constant rise on so I wasn't worried about those.

Reactions: BEG
Hey guys, can you not just use 8mm nylon air line up onto the engine bay, then use pneumatic exhaust filters on a bracket?

Sure, you could do that. Tons of examples of homebrew kits out there. The ARB worked for me since it was all inclusive and I'm a self-described "convenience enthusiast". And, for just $70, I figured my time was more valuable than any savings I would have had by building my own.

Thinking about going the Aussie way.....should be enough hose and breather caps/filters to do everything

Buy a roll of basic 1/4” fuel line and make your own extensions.

Be careful what you terminate the hose with- some of those small porous filters can get clogged with dust and not breathe too well- which can over pressurize the diff and cause seal leaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom