Diff breather extension update: Now Photo! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
well, had put in a diff breather extension on the front axle this weekend. I was curious about how much stuff is going on in there so I used a transparent tube to be able to see.
I had put in a loop to provide for flex and also catch any dirt or water.
Only drove the truck a couple of times on-road since and there was already about a 1/2 teaspoon or so of diff oil caught in the loop. I did not expect quite that much so fast, especially since I did not fill the diff quite all the way to the top of the drain plug so it is not overfilled by far.
Likely from oil vapors I am assuming rather than sloshing etc.
Neat!
There must be some action going on down in there...

Eric

Re:Diff breather extension: update

Eric,

Did you change the fluid or just add to it? Old fluid or contaminated fluid tends to foam. The loop may allow you to see what's going on but I wouldn't make that my permanent solution.

Diff breather extension: update

new oil.
Yup, will not keep this particular hose. Too flimsy. But may try to get a thicker walled transparent one, that might work if strong enough.
Eh, if I could I'd make the whole thing transparent so I can see what's happenin' in there... :D
E

you need a plexi diff cover to go with it! :D

clear-gearz-diff-cover.jpg

Did you just leave it an open hose, or did you put the valve that was atop the original hose on your new clear hose?

DougM

Re:Diff breather extension: update

maybe that is the purpose of the "box" at the top of the stock from breather on the later FZJ80's, to give the air and oil some room to separate and go their separate ways?

oh man, I want one of them plexi covers... (and engine head too, eh!...)

Doug, I left it open for now up near the master cylinder but inverted down. Will get some filters to put on, though.

yup, that could well be a separator of sorts, maybe for incoming dirt too?

E

Diff breather extension: Now photo

here is a photo of the breather and the oil in it after only a few miles of driving.
Interestingly, there was some (small amount of) oil showing at the very end of the hose up next to the master cylinder. Gotta be vapors.
color is off in the photo. It's clean fresh diff oil. Yellow / Brown.
E

Eric,

Where did you buy this cruiser from. Looks to have a lot of rust.

it's a california truck that spent a bit of time in Montana. There is some superficial rust and a lot of red dirt. Very sound as far as I can tell.
E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom