Diff Bolts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to take off my rear diff cover for some much needed love, and a few of the bolts are not coming of. They are all rusty and realy in bad shape. how easy is it to replace the bolts.

They should be nuts on studs, and not that big of a deal to replace..

Good luck!

-Steve

Last edited:
WHAT'S CHAT ABOUT THIS???!!!???!!!

Heh,

Ed

Many of my studs had been replaced with bolts. When I had the covers off, I put in the correct studs, as well as new gaskets, but I noticed a little leakage from the lower stud holes after driving. Originally, there was a rubber/steel washer (that's no longer available). Since the leakage is from the studs themselves, I was thinking I should reimplant them with permatex or teflon. Any suggestions?

Dave-When I did this the new Toyota studs were pre-gooped with sealer. It must have worked since I don't have any leaks.

The studs I got were not (this was for the FJ45, small (6mm) studs, and not OEM (no longer available, I guess). I would bet that goop is teflon, at least on other threaded toyota stuff it looks like it. So that's what I'll put on there unless someone says different. Thanks, Andrew.

a79yota said:
What size are the studs that you use

Early 60s are M6. After that, M8 (8mm) don't recall the pitch.

Thought the early ones, pre 67 were 8mm

and that the later ones 67 and on, were 10mm studs....

Poser said:
Thought the early ones, pre 67 were 8mm

and that the later ones 67 and on, were 10mm studs....

Ahh, yeah. I always confuse the thread size: think in terms of nut and bolt head size because of the wrench I grab.

You use 12 mm nuts on the studs on the early diffs, 14 mm on the later.

That would be 8mm and 10mm, both should be a 1.25 pitch thread...

:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom