Diesels Removed from Mine (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.pvcruisers.com
I was speaking with my sister last night. She works for Newmont Mine Company in Northeastern Nevada. She's an underground geologist with the Gold Mining Group.

They run 70 series diesels in the mines. She said the 70 series diesels were all recenlty pulled from underground because, after mutiple attempts, they couldn't get the DPM low enough. DPM= Diesel Particulant Matter.

I suggested they try to run Bio, but Neumont isn't setup to make Bio-D.

Any suggestions to lower DPM?
Elko.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that seems hard to believe. Did they try scrubbers? Are the engines running properly? Injection pumps in order etc?

If they don't want them I have a use for them:)

x2 on the scrubbers. They had the same trouble in BC when the PZ replaced the 3B. They mines really liked the 3Bs.

The mine doesn't have to make bio diesel, they should buy it and have it trucked in. 5% bio in regular dyno diesel will drop the particulates by 30% in some cases.

The first bio fueling station in the US was in Sparks NV way back in 1999. It shouldn't be too hard to have it trucked in just like their regular diesel.

I'm with Louis, though, let us know if they want the rigs disposed of. :)

My 1hz with 20 percent bio - you can almost inhale the exhaust out of it- it is very clean burning and I never see any black smoke - i never actaully see any exhaust coming out of it.

Bio typically increases the particulate count. It produces more soot than dino-diesel.

Carbon monoxide, sulfur dioxide, and nitrus oxide emissions are normally greatly reduced. A 20% bio blend will normally reduce these emissions by 40%. Fuel lubricity is normally doubled with as little as a 2-5% blend.

I agree with the posts above on scrubbers. Very common in mine applications.

you can buy PTX scrubbers that lower the particulates even more than factory

I too am surprised by that, although the first thing I do with a new truck is fill it with bio and an Lucas injector cleaner - runs much better and cleaner in a few short kms.

Can I call dibs on one of those 70's if they can't get the emissions figured out!!

Is the company non-us, I guess I am surprised to see them using cruisers.

I just got my 3b back from the sniffer...

05% opacity @ 60mph
03% opacity @ 50mph
04% opacity @ 40mph
00% opacity @zero shift

I have to dissagree with bio causes more particulate matter. I have not done any real research on this, but all my reading has indicated otherwise, bio reduces particulate. this is from the FAQ on biodiesel.org:

How do biodiesel emissions compare to petroleum diesel?
Biodiesel is the only alternative fuel to have fully completed the health effects testing requirements of the Clean Air Act. The use of biodiesel in a conventional diesel engine results in substantial reduction of unburned hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, and particulate matter compared to emissions from diesel fuel. In addition, the exhaust emissions of sulfur oxides and sulfates (major components of acid rain) from biodiesel are essentially eliminated compared to diesel.

Of the major exhaust pollutants, both unburned hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides are ozone or smog forming precursors. The use of biodiesel results in a substantial reduction of unburned hydrocarbons. Emissions of nitrogen oxides are either slightly reduced or slightly increased depending on the duty cycle of the engine and testing methods used. Based on engine testing, using the most stringent emissions testing protocols
required by EPA for certification of fuels or fuel additives in the US, the overall ozone forming potential of the speciated hydrocarbon emissions from biodiesel was nearly 50 percent less than that measured for diesel fuel.

And from the 3 years I ran 100% bio in my cruiser I went from a 5% opacity reading to a 0.1% opacity reading. I don't know if I am missinformed, but I would like to see where this other information is, so I can read up on it.
Cheers,
Deny

"And from the 3 years I ran 100% bio in my cruiser I went from a 5% opacity reading to a 0.1% opacity reading."

I did the same over the last 3 years except I run regular diesel.

I have to dissagree with bio causes more particulate matter. I have not done any real research on this, but all my reading has indicated otherwise, bio reduces particulate. this is from the FAQ on biodiesel.org:

How do biodiesel emissions compare to petroleum diesel?
Biodiesel is the only alternative fuel to have fully completed the health effects testing requirements of the Clean Air Act. The use of biodiesel in a conventional diesel engine results in substantial reduction of unburned hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, and particulate matter compared to emissions from diesel fuel. In addition, the exhaust emissions of sulfur oxides and sulfates (major components of acid rain) from biodiesel are essentially eliminated compared to diesel.

Of the major exhaust pollutants, both unburned hydrocarbons and nitrogen oxides are ozone or smog forming precursors. The use of biodiesel results in a substantial reduction of unburned hydrocarbons. Emissions of nitrogen oxides are either slightly reduced or slightly increased depending on the duty cycle of the engine and testing methods used. Based on engine testing, using the most stringent emissions testing protocols
required by EPA for certification of fuels or fuel additives in the US, the overall ozone forming potential of the speciated hydrocarbon emissions from biodiesel was nearly 50 percent less than that measured for diesel fuel.

And from the 3 years I ran 100% bio in my cruiser I went from a 5% opacity reading to a 0.1% opacity reading. I don't know if I am missinformed, but I would like to see where this other information is, so I can read up on it.
Cheers,
Deny

My info comes from an EPA study, now a few years old. Predictably, I can't find the URL now. Since I can't produce a source, I'll back out of this debate. :doh:

""And from the 3 years I ran 100% bio in my cruiser I went from a 5% opacity reading to a 0.1% opacity reading."

I did the same over the last 3 years except I run regular diesel."

I haven't run bio for 2 years now since I moved up north, so that drop came 5 years ago. The 3B didn't really show a huge difference since it didn't really smoke prior to using bio, but my dad's 87 diesel nissan pickup smoked pretty bad up hills, but when switching to bio saw a huge decrese in smoke. He also had troubles passing aircare a few times(mostly due to the drivers not able to shift properly) prior to bio, since running bio (five years now) not one problem passing. Still smokes a little, but not as much.

Didn't aircare change their format lately, perhaps that is why your reading dropped?
Cheers,
Deny

particulate in a mine:rolleyes: dam tree hugger crap.
No mask etc will stop the cancer causing gasser emissions.
What about all the heavy machinery down there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom